Help help help!!

pwerfulyifu

so i just finished my outdoor enclosure and i was taking my cham outside. as i was going outside he became soooooo pissed like he wouldnt stop hissing and gaped his mouth at me. so i ran as fast as possible to the enclosure. i misted it nice and wet but when i put him in there he keeps going to the bottom and staying this dark coloration. i would catch him and put him on the branches again and again he would run to the bottom. he is not trying to go up and get sunlight. WHAT'S WRONG??? anyone had this happen before?

is there anyshade in the cage, he might be getting 2 hot if there is not, otherwise he could just be scarred

Has he ever been outside before? Sounds like he needs to go slow and explore on his terms. If he doesn't move around much, you may wan't to try again in a few days.

yes he's been outside plenty of times before. i've never seen him like this before. i thought hey maybe it's the new environment so he might just need some time to adjust. i checked up on him two hours later and he's still at the bottom and being very pissed. i took him back to his old cage and now he's staying on the bottom of the cage as well. WHAT SHOULD I DO??? i dont have the money for a vet trip right now. should i just wait and see if he gets better tomorrow?

It doesn't sound life threatening to me. I've heard that if they sit for a prolonged time at the bottom there could be some medical complications like respiratory infections and what not, but it sounds like he's just not comfortable in his environment. The humidity won't effect his comfort as much as the right temperature. It may just be too hot in your area of Cali. I know I can only go out certain times of the day here or Zeus will try to climb to the shady areas on me. Going slow with this kind of stuff is most important. If you don't they'll only learn that they are about to be put in a stressful situation instead of a fun mellow experience. Leave him alone for a couple days. Work on getting him used to being picked up then moved then taken outside.

It doesn't sound life threatening to me. I've heard that if they sit for a prolonged time at the bottom there could be some medical complications like respiratory infections and what not, but it sounds like he's just not comfortable in his environment. The humidity won't effect his comfort as much as the right temperature. It may just be too hot in your area of Cali. I know I can only go out certain times of the day here or Zeus will try to climb to the shady areas on me. Going slow with this kind of stuff is most important. If you don't they'll only learn that they are about to be put in a stressful situation instead of a fun mellow experience. Leave him alone for a couple days. Work on getting him used to being picked up then moved then taken outside.

I totally agree! Go slow and it doesn't sound like anything but a very upset cham! See what tomorrow brings.

i understand. but it was totally unexpected because i always hold him and he never shows any stress or aggression. he sometimes gapes a little bit but only when my head is looking down on him. but today was totally off. and ive taken him outside plenty of times and he usually loves it. and now is the cooler days of the summer and even now he hasnt moved since i put him back in his cage indoors.

Chams are complex creatures that I don't think I'll ever totally understand. I also mean't to say that if he's getting ready to go into shed they sometimes act off a bit right before and during it. Try to put him in the bask after he has been misted well. He should be able to take care of himself as long as you don't notice him without his eyes open or laying down or something completely off.

Sounds like for what ever reason he got stressed by the adventure of the new enclosure. As mentioned, try to put him up towards the basking light. I think he just needs some time to de-stress.

put him out again today. he came out for about 30 minutes and went back into seclusion at the bottom again. like i said ive never seen him so mad before. went so dark and gaping and hissing. im wondering if he doesnt like new enclosure...

Back
Top Bottom