Help! Chloe just laid her eggs, what's next? I think she may have gular edema.

clfergie

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon - Veiled Female, 1yr 6 mos?. I got her back in September from a guy who was tired of the work involved in taking care of her.
• Handling - Rarely, (I let her free range around my room, if starts climbing on my bed or near my aquariums I move her) or when she reaches for me.
• Feeding - Crickets , superworms, mealworms, waxworms (treat). She stopped eating for a week completely about a month ago but the vet said she was at a healthy weight, no parasites and said she may be developing eggs. Since then i've been trying to feed her every other day with 6-9 small crickets. Sometimes she would eat and other days she would not, I would try to mix it up a bit and sometimes bribe her with super worms ( 3-5 sm - med). I gut load all with Repashy Bug Burger (staple) and if I have any other vegetables in the fridge.
• Supplements - 2x month Rep Cal Herptivite Multivitamin, 2x month Rep cal Calcium w/ D3, 3x week Sticky Farms Outdoor Calcium.
• Watering - I use a hand mister 3 x a day w/ the little dripper.
• Fecal Description - Tested for parasites about a month ago and came back negative, she wasn't eating and I was worried. Her poop is brown with white (urates?)
• History - She was purchased at Petsmart about a 1yr and 6mos ago, when purchased :from nose to bum she was about 2-3in long. Never house with a male. Yesterday (24th) was her first lay, 75 eggs!!!

Cage Info:
• Cage Type - I bought http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/complete-cage-packages/-/65-gallon-chameleon-package/ 65 gallon chameleon package during the black friday sale this past Thanksgiving but I'm already thinking about upgrading.
• Lighting - 24" UV Hood, 18" UV 5.0 Bulb Zoo Med 18" Repti Sun 5.0 UVB bulb and a white basking bulb. Both are on a timer, 12hrs on and 12hrs off. 8am - 8pm
• Temperature - Lowest at the bottom of the cage is 75, basking area is about 85.
• Humidity - I have a hydrometer but I don't think it works, I also live in Houston and it's pretty humid here. Fogger or Mist??? I'd liked to get one but I'm not sure which is best for a veiled.
• Plants - Pothos, but looking to expand to a small ficus or schefelerra(sp?).
• Placement - Her cage is about 16 in off the floor in a corner of my bedroom (quiet), there is a ceiling fan that is always on.
• Location - Houston, Tx

Current Problem - Many many questions. I think she may have gular edema, altho she did just lay 75 eggs and it was our first. It took everything I had not to peek in the lay bin. My poor girl looks emaciated after her lay, I came home from a Christmas dinner party and she was still in the lay bin so I took her out and put her on her horizontal ladder near the top of the cage where she normally sleeps ( it had been 6 hrs since she finished laying and started packing the dirt). She ate 2 small crickets and lost interest and walked off, I left a small plastic bin of crickets at the bottom of her cage in case she wants more ( she can get to them but they can't escape). What do I do next? Do I dust every feeding with Sticky Tongue O? I know she just laid but she looks terrible, skinny and a very dull dark brown. I will post pictures once she wakes up, it is currently 3:22 am and I'd hate to disturb her dreaming. Any comments, questions, suggestions are gladly accepted. I'm new to having a chameleon and altho I've done a lot of research I feel like there is still more to learn. Happy Holidays :)

Hello, welcome to the forum :) Good work on filling out the form so completely on your first post. Wow 75 eggs! that's a LOT :) she must have been very well fed. Yes, give plain calcium every feed.
They usually look pretty thin and tired after laying - here is my girl after her first lay of 31 infertile eggs -
https://www.chameleonforums.com/mem...id-31-eggs-yesterday-1st-batch-infertile.html

What makes you think she has gular edema?

Plenty of food and water for a few days after laying, then it's time to cut back more on her food to prevent too much egg laying. Here is a great all-round caresheet for Veileds that I recommend to all new people here - https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/chameleonsinmyhouse/395-veiled-chameleon-care-sheet.html
Sounds like you are looking after her very well, just less tempting her to eat superworms would be good (they are high in fat).

Sorry for the long delay in replying, her throat became smaller the day after she laid and in the past few days it has gotten bigger. I haven't changed her routine except for giving her less superworms. I ordered hornworms and a small container of butterworms to add some variety to her diet.

zlbt9.jpg

lJPQE.jpg

4fYjq.jpg

Back
Top Bottom