Help! Bloody trail after urates

Yes, you recommended the 12” to me in a different post and your concern is actually why I brought the bulb up! I appreciate that. I plan on either getting the 5.0 or putting his basking and higher climbing points 12” distance from it.

Make sure you are measuring the temps and not the distance. 12 inches is pretty far and they need the heat from basking for a number of functions including digestion. 5.0 and about 7 inches should be good with a tall enough cage and plenty if light/temp gradients.

Make sure you are measuring the temps and not the distance. 12 inches is pretty far and they need the heat from basking for a number of functions including digestion. 5.0 and about 7 inches should be good with a tall enough cage and plenty if light/temp gradients.
Thanks. Man sounds like I just need to ditch the 10.0. Come to think of it I’ve only been using it for 3 months and never had any issues with him with the 5.0, dang reptarium store recommended 10.0 when I went to replace.

Thanks. Man sounds like I just need to ditch the 10.0. Come to think of it I’ve only been using it for 3 months and never had any issues with him with the 5.0, dang reptarium store recommended 10.0 when I went to replace.
I take him out 2 times a week for our happy hour in the Texas sun. He loves being outside, id love to get a ficus there for him to just chill instead of it being with me on the outdoor couch

Dont sorry the EXACT same thing happened to me a few months ago my girl had an edema and was missing some feeders because the dude at the reptile store he sold me on a 10.0 bc my girl doesn't get outside much. I swapped quick and the edema went away and shes nailing feeders again.

Make sure you are measuring the temps and not the distance. 12 inches is pretty far and they need the heat from basking for a number if functions including digestion. 5.0 and about 7 inches should be good with a tall enough cage and plenty if light/temp gradients.

And that is the maximal allowable distance to achieve this new "UVI 3.0" recommendation. But the recommendation also says to almost(or completely) eliminate D3 supplements. You can not mix the "new" UV light recommendations with the "old" d3 supplement schedules.

I dont even know what the new d3 supplement sched should be. I run my animals with a max UVI of 1.5 (which is 3x higher than what was recommended even a few years ago) and ultra low dose D3 (stickytonguefarms Indoor formula).

I really hope this "new" UV light recommendations that are being pushed are not going to come and bite us in 12-18 months...

Its only being pushed by 1 guy at Arcadia. And we had 1 breeder raise a cham to full size with just UVI 3.0 and No d3 (and he doesnt even use artificial lighting any more). That is litterally the only data we have.

Dont sorry the EXACT same thing happened to me a few months ago my girl had an edema and was missing some feeders because the dude at the reptile store he sold me on a 10.0 bc my girl doesn't get outside much. I swapped quick and the edema went away and shes nailing feeders again.
Alright buying meow! As I have until Monday and amazon be cheaper

So what’s the skinny on rep cal w/d3 then? I just got REPTI CALCIUM without d3 to use every other feedingX and plan on the with d3 every other week. We go outside at minimum once a week, I’m wondering if there is another supplement I’m missing or if this and proper lighting will suffice.

Keep in mind folks. Beman runs a 12%/10.0 But she has a staggered array and a quad with a mono reflector. Her 10.0 put outs 50-60% less UVB vs a 10.0/12% in a single bulb hood. And more importantly, she has a meter and spent the time to adjust the stick so bemans head gets 3.0 TOPS and then tapers away.

So what’s the skinny on rep cal w/d3 then? I just got REPTI CALCIUM without d3 to use every other feedingX and plan on the with d3 every other week. We go outside at minimum once a week, I’m wondering if there is another supplement I’m missing or if this and proper lighting will suffice.

I just use Repashy Calcium Plus LoD at every feeding. If you want to have more control what most people do is calcium with no d3 at every feeding, then calcium with d3 once every two weeks and a multivitamin once every two weeks. I have no idea what schedule a sick cham should be on though.

As @nightanole had said there are many things to consider. I am pretty sure OP had one fixture. My highest branch is 5" down on a 6% bulb and I have not had any edema or signs of problems since dropping from 12% to 6%. We really all should be measuring UV but I dont have a meter.

D3 dosages:

RepCal D3+ 400,000 IU/kg
Flukers Reptacalcium 100,000 IU/lb
Exoterra 14,740 IU/lb
ZooMed ReptiCalcium 22,907 IU/kg
Mineral -indoor 2000ui per kg
Repashy calcium plus LoD 8,000 IU/lb

I dont have the time right now to convert kg to lbs, but just pretend that the 8,000 IU/lb is 20,000 ui/kg.

I Honestly know nothing about you. My "personal" recommendation is to wrap the 10.0 with 1 layer of aluminum window screen, and to dose with d3 that is 1 knotch down on the supplement list.

If you want to know what works for me, its UVI 0.5-1.0 at the spot they most hang out, along with stickytongue farms indoor for all calcum needs. I dont even bother with zero D3 calcium. its worked for me since the early 1990's.

D3 dosages:

RepCal D3+ 400,000 IU/kg
Flukers Reptacalcium 100,000 IU/lb
Exoterra 14,740 IU/lb
ZooMed ReptiCalcium 22,907 IU/kg
Mineral -indoor 2000ui per kg
Repashy calcium plus LoD 8,000 IU/lb

I dont have the time right now to convert kg to lbs, but just pretend that the 8,000 IU/lb is 20,000 ui/kg.

I Honestly know nothing about you. My "personal" recommendation is to wrap the 10.0 with 1 layer of aluminum window screen, and to dose with d3 that is 1 knotch down on the supplement list.

If you want to know what works for me, its UVI 0.5-1.0 at the spot they most hang out, along with stickytongue farms indoor for all calcum needs. I dont even bother with zero D3 calcium. its worked for me since the early 1990's.
I appreciate your recommendations and will look into replacing the repcal I am and have been currently using with something not as intense when it comes to the supplement.

I am most definitely lacking some knowledge and everything you all have shared and posted helps me immensely to get myself in gear and to do better than I have been. I got a lot more researching to do and don’t want to make the same mistakes for Lou that he is dealing with in my novice of the past. Very lucky he showed no symptoms and has had no problems until year 3.

And when I stop to think about it, since having the new bulb, the last three months have been a slow decline in his appetite and hunting. With other factors such as his humidity not being maintained to where it should be, the lighting has played a part as well it seems.

Back to the plexiglass thing, I just use plastic shower curtains attached to the sides and that helps keep in the humidity.
Also rad recommendation, as you can see I am ALL THE THINGS right now. It’s been a doozy of learning curbs. I’m looking forward to redoing everything as I await my guy coming home!

I'm running Chandler with a 10.0 T5, but I haven't been using any d3 supplement. He's been fine without it, but I do take him outside for natural sun when it's warm enough for him.

Memories popped up today and found a picture of 8 month old Lou :)

Back
Top Bottom