Hello! new member introduction

DanSB

Avid Member
I've been lurking here and enjoying this wonderful site for a little over a month and figured I would say hi and introduce myself.

I spent the four years of high school working in a pet store being the primary "Fish Expert" and the back up for reptiles and birds. This was one of those "Old School" pet stores where the animals were important, the suppliers were checked out, and healthy clean store was more important than the profit margin or the employees laziness. Either way like most stores run like this it went out of business in 1994 (This was right around the time the Big Box Pet Stores started cropping up around here) ruining my plans to one day run the place.

I have had many animals throughout the years and have quite a bit of experience in keeping and caring for animals of all varieties but have never owned a chameleon.

My first experience with chameleons in the pet store was in the early 90s when they found a good supplier out of Hawaii who was able to provide healthy and happy Jackson's along with good instructions on how to keep them. We had an extensive drip and misting system along with custom made enclosures with glass fronts and 3 sides made from egg crate ceiling light grates. Screen cages were not readily available at that time. These were the most fascinating animals I had ever seen but I just couldn't bring myself to risk buying a pair as it seems information on their care was not easy to come by at that time. (At least for me) That and my hands were full with marine aquariums, tropical aquariums, turtles, birds, and various other animals.

Time flew by and I never did get a chameleon. Not having a ton of extra time and keeping some easy pets like cats and chorus frogs.

I decided it was time to go find a new pet so I had been researching and trying to decide on another pet to put in an exo terra 18x18x18 I had picked up. In a very kind hearted but woefully misled act of goodness my wife sought out a pet store that had a variety of pets. I still don't know what the store was but it sounded pretty dingy. The guy there told her these little chameleons he had would be a great pet for our 2 year old girl to handle and all she had to do was throw it in an aquarium with a light and feed it crickets and it would be happy.

She bought him and called me to pick up some crickets on the way home. I was wondering how she knew I was out of crickets for my frogs and became suspicious. I got out of her she was going to surprise me with a chameleon and she told me the story and got really angry when I asked her to take it back... the guy wouldn't take it back. So on my way home picked up a dripper uvb lighting, jungle vines, a pothos plant, some dusting supplements and a heat lamp to keep him in the exo terra until I could pick up a bigger screen cage.

Keep in mind at this time I had no idea what kind of chameleon it even was or if if he was sickly and wouldn't last the week.

So I get home and I thought it was a juvenile Graceful Chameleon but after a bit of research I found out I have a slightly older Senegal (95% Sure). I got him hydrated and eating and he seems to be doing pretty well after about a month.

I am completely enthralled by this creature which my wife has named Pipin and can watch him for hours. I still have a ton to learn and I still need to get him (her?) to a vet sometime soon to get checked out. I thought he had some sort of terrible skin issue until I realized the black dots went away when he was happy and basking under under the lamp.

I'm certain I've caught the chameleon fever and am already planning parts of the house and garden for future enclosures.

So that's my introduction; Hello everyone, I'm Dan

free-sign-smileys-1003.gif
sign0140.gif

Hi Dan. Welcome to the forum :) Good to know your little Pipin is doing well. Congrats on finally getting yourself a Chameleon, the funnest of all lizards.................

Hi Dan and welcome! You have come to the right place to learn and share your love of chameleons! Senegals can be difficult to sex(if they are male or female) because from what I have researched there is a sub-species that does not have the tell tale spurs on the back of their heels which would make it a male. Check the back of the back feet, there might be little spurs or spikes that stick out. If so, you have a male. If not then your chameleon needs to be sexed in another way and that is by distinguishing if it has a hemipenal bulge at the tail base. If your cham does not have the spurs, then post some pics so we can try and help you. If it is determined you have a female, then you will need to get a laying bin in your cage for when your chameleon gets of age to lay eggs(at about 6 months on). You may know this already but they do not need to be mated to produce and lay eggs. Do you have a basking light in addition to the UVB?

Thank you for the welcome everyone! This has already become my favorite Chameleon forum. I don't have a ton of extra time and I am also trying to keep up on frog and salt water forums so I spent all the time up front determining the best community with the most knowledgeable and friendly people. For chameleons this is definitely it!

Check the back of the back feet, there might be little spurs or spikes that stick out. If so, you have a male. If not then your chameleon needs to be sexed in another way and that is by distinguishing if it has a hemipenal bulge at the tail base. ... If it is determined you have a female, then you will need to get a laying bin in your cage for when your chameleon gets of age to lay eggs(at about 6 months on). You may know this already but they do not need to be mated to produce and lay eggs. Do you have a basking light in addition to the UVB?

I read about the spurs and hemipenal bulge but can't find pictures of what they actually look like; I suppose they look a lot like how they sound and I see nothing that makes me think Pipin is a male! I might have to inform my wife the name is Pipette.

I had no idea an egg laying bin was required without a pair. I have some extra eco earth I suppose that would be best in a tray just in case...

Thank you!

Thank you for the welcome everyone! This has already become my favorite Chameleon forum. I don't have a ton of extra time and I am also trying to keep up on frog and salt water forums so I spent all the time up front determining the best community with the most knowledgeable and friendly people. For chameleons this is definitely it!

I read about the spurs and hemipenal bulge but can't find pictures of what they actually look like; I suppose they look a lot like how they sound and I see nothing that makes me think Pipin is a male! I might have to inform my wife the name is Pipette.

I had no idea an egg laying bin was required without a pair. I have some extra eco earth I suppose that would be best in a tray just in case...

Thank you!

Welcome!
For egg laying, you want washed wet playsand that is at least 12 inches deep.

the sand needs to be wet enoug to hold a tunnel and not collapse.

and yes females can lay eggs without being mated.. or even seeing a male.

Well I suppose the play sand would also be good for keeping humidity up! I need to get some for the water feature in the chorus frog enclosure I'm working on anyway so this works out well.

Well I suppose the play sand would also be good for keeping humidity up! I need to get some for the water feature in the chorus frog enclosure I'm working on anyway so this works out well.

there ya go.

just an fyi, some females wont lay even in 5 gallon buckets. so some people have to put their female in a large trash can with no way out to sort of force them to lay.

but as you become more familiar withoyu rcham, youll learn if this is necessary.

if you have any other questions, youre welcome to PM me. :D

Hi Dan, using the old blame it on wife story? I know, we get blamed for everything, when in fact we are never guilty of anything.:rolleyes::D I am really glad you joined us. We will be happy to help you with your new friend. You might see if your wife would like to join us, she might like learning about the new little one also. We also love pictures when you have time.:)

You will find a lot of members on here wanting the kind of info you have. We have a lot of fish types. i gave up saltwater tanks when I moved from California to Montana.

Welcome to the forum :) It's nice to have you here.
Sounds like you have already figured out this is the best forum for information.

Camimom: I suspect the egg laying thing is one of those things that seems confusing until it happens then all of the sudden it makes perfect sense. I'll keep my eyes open for signs of any changes and work from there.

Laurie: I only blame her when she isn't looking otherwise it's all my fault! :) She isn't really "Into" the animals like I am but she does like them, so there is an in! Pictures will be coming shortly. The camera battery was washed and while it is clean it doesn't seem to work anymore. I have quite a bit of experience with many different animals and am happy to share whatever I can. I have a nano reef tank just waiting to be set up, the room it will go in is being remodeled so I need to wait.

K9: I think this forum clearly has the best active community of experts of any of the ones I ran across. The wealth of knowledge here is worth 100 text books!

Dan you are on the way!

K9: I think this forum clearly has the best active community of experts of any of the ones I ran across. The wealth of knowledge here is worth 100 text books![/QUOTE]

We love complements:D:D You will make friends fast.

Back
Top Bottom