Pet Store Pipe Dreams

saradoggy10

Established Member
Hi,
My dream is to open a pet store someday, hopefully sooner rather than later. Keeping animals in the proper enclosures, creating custom enclosures, and helping local breeders get a footing and make things easier for them. I want a portion of the store to kinda be like a little animal expo where approved breeders can sell their animals at a small fee. Rescuing and rehabilitating animals, fostering out, etc. At some point I know it's unrealistic and all that but I can dream, right?

Anyway, believe it or not I've got files of plans but came across a catch when it comes to purchasing stock materials. Anyone know where pet stores get their stuff wholesale?

Trust when I say if it's unrealistic, no need to point it out I'll come across that fact eventually- but just don't shut me down now if you could.

Also any fun pet store ideas, what you'd see in your ideal (ethical) pet store let me know! All about making animals, and the populous happy.

Hi,
My dream is to open a pet store someday, hopefully sooner rather than later. Keeping animals in the proper enclosures, creating custom enclosures, and helping local breeders get a footing and make things easier for them. I want a portion of the store to kinda be like a little animal expo where approved breeders can sell their animals at a small fee. Rescuing and rehabilitating animals, fostering out, etc. At some point I know it's unrealistic and all that but I can dream, right?

Anyway, believe it or not I've got files of plans but came across a catch when it comes to purchasing stock materials. Anyone know where pet stores get their stuff wholesale?

Trust when I say if it's unrealistic, no need to point it out I'll come across that fact eventually- but just don't shut me down now if you could.

Also any fun pet store ideas, what you'd see in your ideal (ethical) pet store let me know! All about making animals, and the populous happy.
Having owned a bird specialty pet store for 18 years, I can tell you it is very hard work. Most who start stores because they love animals fail if they have not had an education in business as well. And it is vital to be well capitalized, I would recommend 6-8 months expenses in the bank when you start. If you can hit these markers you have a great concept and could do well!

Having owned a bird specialty pet store for 18 years, I can tell you it is very hard work. Most who start stores because they love animals fail if they have not had an education in business as well. And it is vital to be well capitalized, I would recommend 6-8 months expenses in the bank when you start. If you can hit these markers you have a great concept and could do well!
Wow! Do you mind PMing me some useful suppliers? I would love to hear all of your experiences ❤️

There are huge national distributors like Central and Philips which I don't like to use, very big minimums and no niche products. Hagen is good for reptile supplies. Other than that, all of my distributors are bird-only suppliers so not helpful. You need to find small independent reptile suppliers. I have no idea if they have wholesale programs but you could try our sponsors as a good start.

I board animals with strict health testing requirements but do not sell animals. If you do that, especially rescue, you will be looking at thousands of dollars of vet expense per year in addition, plus a need for more square footage for quarantine rooms, etc. I would chat with some of the breeders here, I suspect some of them sell direct because it is not profitable to sell wholesale; or if they do you might be looking at a tiny margin, 10-20% which is no way enough to support a brick and mortar business. (And I totally understand why they do this, it also helps them keep control) This is the very reason I do not sell some really great products that are out there; you cannot afford to have something taking up expensive space that is not returning enough $ to pay rent, utilities, staff etc. And why should they give it to you to sell for 50% off when they can sell online for 100%?

Not trying to be discouraging only realistic. Your best bet might be to find the most similar reptile store you can that is outside your area, offer to buy them a nice dinner and pick their brain. Most are happy to mentor.

There are huge national distributors like Central and Philips which I don't like to use, very big minimums and no niche products. Hagen is good for reptile supplies. Other than that, all of my distributors are bird-only suppliers so not helpful. You need to find small independent reptile suppliers. I have no idea if they have wholesale programs but you could try our sponsors as a good start.

I board animals with strict health testing requirements but do not sell animals. If you do that, especially rescue, you will be looking at thousands of dollars of vet expense per year in addition, plus a need for more square footage for quarantine rooms, etc. I would chat with some of the breeders here, I suspect some of them sell direct because it is not profitable to sell wholesale; or if they do you might be looking at a tiny margin, 10-20% which is no way enough to support a brick and mortar business. (And I totally understand why they do this, it also helps them keep control) This is the very reason I do not sell some really great products that are out there; you cannot afford to have something taking up expensive space that is not returning enough $ to pay rent, utilities, staff etc. And why should they give it to you to sell for 50% off when they can sell online for 100%?

Not trying to be discouraging only realistic. Your best bet might be to find the most similar reptile store you can that is outside your area, offer to buy them a nice dinner and pick their brain. Most are happy to mentor.
Thank you so much!! I'm actually not looking at just a reptile store, but a big concern is being able to support margins without buying from big animal distributors. I'm at the stage right now of finding costs so I can build a budget plan and decide what is possible to carry and what is not.
I'd rather have all the numbers laid out then to dive in nose first and deal with the consequences, yknow?
I'll have to ask about some very specific suppliers like that birdlighting website and Josh's frogs. I'm sure I could work out some partnerships if I offer some retail space. And make them cookies or smth

OK one last thing...if you are an "all pets" store then you are competing strictly on price with Petco, Amazon etc. and no small store can survive that.

If you consider being niche/specialty, the key is to carry items that they don't have and offer sound advice. You go deep, not wide.

Back
Top Bottom