Hello, i need to ask a question regarding supplements...

when i got my cham ed (Male Panther) i was told vitamins 2x a month spread out and calcium every feed. Now i am curious about the calcium every feed is that bad advice good ? i suspect every feed is bad for them and what appears to be small calcium deposits forming in certain areas of him body or it could just be mee seeing thing and what im seeing is jsut normal for them. (will grab pictures) (feeding every other day Locust)

Last edited:
calcium every feed day, doesnt have to be every feeder but should be at least half. A growing cham might eat 2 dozen crickets, only 6-12 need dusted. A grown cham might eat 6 every other day, all 6 should be dusted.
vits 2x a month
D3 2x a month

Been that way for 30+ years with great success.

The only thing that has changed is lighting has gotten powerful enough that you may be able to use the "outdoor" supplement sched of calcium every feeding, vit 2x a month, zero D3.

Also its light dusting, we are not going for breaded chicken or ghost locusts.

Light calcium every meal for most feeders(exceptions are snails, isopods, bsfl, and if you don't use worms like horns/silks often then you can skip it on them when you do). The point is to correct the calcium : phosphorus ratio. Most insects have much higher phosphorus.

The multivitamin is an area where the advice is still misleading. People talk about regularly supplementing with bee pollen, which I think is fine and petr necas agrees. Well, bee pollen IS a multivitamin. Instead of simply saying multivitamin we should monitor preformed vitamin A, vitamin D and anything else that could build up in the system.

To simplify though, I'd say a source of preformed vitamin A 2x a month like reptivite, or some do herptivite 1x and reptivite 1x to be cautious with the preformed vit A that is found in reptivite. Others do a drop from a human grade retinol softgel on a feeder 1x a month. I've experimented with all of these methods and they all worked fine.

ed1.jpg
ed2.jpg
ed3.jpg
ed4.jpg

I know it maybe abit hard to see it looks like stick shed (it is but the stuck shed seems to be stuck to some sort of small growth coming from the edge of his eye. also another note, took him to the vets 3 days ago with suspected RI, im sure i suspect LRI due to the raspy mucsey sound he makes when he clears his air ways. he had a blood sample taken and had a liver biopsey finger crossed waiting for the results

Is there anything to worry about/can be done, after further inspection it does look more like it andi can confirm it is not stuck shed lol

Back
Top Bottom