Heavy breathing and popping

Slimjd89

I have a 6 month old veiled chameleon that has been gasping and making a popping sound every once in a while. I have heard that is a sign of an RI but there is not saliva build up in his mouth and no other signs of an RI. Any recommendations???

He has also been really weird on drinking water and will only drink when I misty his tank and will not drink from his dripper. Could he be dehydrated?

I live in New Mexico and its very dry. I have him in a 30g tall aquarium right now and will post a picture of it. I have ordered a fogger because keeping humidity high is difficult out here. I normally saturate his enclosure about 8 times a day with a warm mist. He has a day uvb 75w bulb and a night 75w heat bulb. Temp normally stays in between 80-90f and humidity never drops below 40 but typically stays aroun 70-80 for a hour or so after misting. I have a dripper but have never seen him drink from it at all typically he would drink off the fake leafs in his enclosure but have not seen him do that in a few days.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 203
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 245
man, id throw some potted leafy plants down on that open area for your chameleon to hide and climb on. pothos is a really good choice and itll grow a whole lot. not to mention it will help hold the humidity and give more spots for drinking. your cham probably doesnt feel very safe in his environment. my chams wont drink from a dripper and will only lap off of vines and leaves.

He needs some air movement in there. As well as some plants to climb on and hide in. He's basically confined to one vine, no shade, nowhere to go to regulate his temperatures. I'm guessing it's way too hot in there, and the stale/muggy air somehow gave him a RI. He's going to need a vet and a complete cage overhaul.

He does need all the symptoms to have an RI, it's just like when we are sick. Sometimes we will only have a handful but will still feel like hell. He likely is dehydrated, but not just because of his drinking habits, more because of his RI. But a lot of chameleons don't do well with drippers, some only drink from drippers. They are individuals. This is why it's always recommended to have an automatic misting system. In my opinion an aquarium is not the correct habitat for a chameleon. You should either get a completely screen enclosure, or a combo. And you need far more foliage. I never recommend fake plants with a veiled.

I will for sure be overhauling his enclosure and be getting some real plants in there. Is there and way to identify if he actually has an RI without taking him to a vet for a culture?

I would be pretty sure he has an RI, but you would still need to go to the vet. I recommend a culture because it is easier to know what antibiotic would treat his specific RI, but you could do a more broad spectrum antibiotic... it's just also asking for more trouble that way to. It's up to you, good luck either way

I would be pretty sure he has an RI, but you would still need to go to the vet. I recommend a culture because it is easier to know what antibiotic would treat his specific RI, but you could do a more broad spectrum antibiotic... it's just also asking for more trouble that way to. It's up to you, good luck either way
Thanks I will take him in tomorrow

Hoping he comes out on top, make sure he stays well hydrated during his medication route. A lot of meds can cause issues with dehydration with chams. If you can't afford an auto-mister in the beginning (the ones you really want to buy are around 200 dollars, look into mistking or climist) rely on showers for a bit. Do your best to get water into him.

Hoping he comes out on top, make sure he stays well hydrated during his medication route. A lot of meds can cause issues with dehydration with chams. If you can't afford an auto-mister in the beginning (the ones you really want to buy are around 200 dollars, look into mistking or climist) rely on showers for a bit. Do your best to get water into him.
I got a mistking on its way should be here tomorrow or tuesday.

Wonderful, I would be very careful about using it until you switch from the aquarium mistkings can make it humid very easily.

Last edited:
I will for sure be overhauling his enclosure and be getting some real plants in there. Is there and way to identify if he actually has an RI without taking him to a vet for a culture?
Welcome @Slimjd89 if you baby does have a URI he will most definitely need a vet and antibiotics . URI turn to pneumonia very fast . Our little girl has been fighting for nearly a year with upper respiratory infections . We did several Grounds Of oral antibiotics . Our last round we did have to do injections . With injection there's a much higher risk of kidney failure . Start hydrating now as @Andee has suggested . Best of luck .

Took Pickett to the vet today has a very mild RI and they gave me some baytril to kick it before it got any worse. Also upgraded his enclosure and working on getting some real plants as well for him to relax on. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 144
Took Pickett to the vet today has a very mild RI and they gave me some baytril to kick it before it got any worse. Also upgraded his enclosure and working on getting some real plants as well for him to relax on. Thanks everyone!

Awww I am so good he's doing well. Be careful with baytril, it can be hard on chameleons, don't give it to him for an extended period of time of course, do the usual amount you should have to... like 7 days I think? and if that doesn't work I'd go back to the vet and ask for something different. Though baytril is used for a lot of things without issue, chameleons can be very sensitive to it especially when it's used for too long. He may lose his appetite a bit on it. Make sure he is getting a lot, and I mean A LOT of water. Baytril is notourious for dehydrating chameleons and making them sick that way. So just make sure he gets a nice long misting in the morning and then through out the day don't go shorter than 2 minutes. Keeping thoughts happy for you guys <3

Good to see you're willing to take the advice of folks here! And glad to hear it's only a mild URI.

I'd also recommend having horizontal sticks as well as vertical to give your cham basking options, you'll need to form a gradiant for him (easy access to a range of temperatures)

This forum has a wealth of knowledge, I'd recommend spending some time searching for any questions you may have in the search function.

Good luck!!

Good to see you're willing to take the advice of folks here! And glad to hear it's only a mild URI.

I'd also recommend having horizontal sticks as well as vertical to give your cham basking options, you'll need to form a gradiant for him (easy access to a range of temperatures)

This forum has a wealth of knowledge, I'd recommend spending some time searching for any questions you may have in the search function.

Good luck!!
Just added two pieces of drift wood todat with some areas to relax in different temp zones. Thanks for the advise.

Back
Top Bottom