Heat wave

FaunaBgirl

My room is staying in the 80's now, day and night. Fractal doesn't like it. I'm misting more. He's basking less. I will get a 60 watt vs. the 100 he has now. My concern is that It will be in the 100's in my room soon and in the upper 90's at night. Should I go down to a 30 watt basking bulb? What advice/warnings do you have for Fractal's ultimate comfort, please?

Howdy,

There is a real benefit to nighttime temps getting down to at least the low 70's and you really want to provide a daytime gradient from the 90's down to the 70's so you've got your work cut out for you. If you have a window then a portable A/C unit (Costco) and added misting to compensate for the humidity drop might be needed to solve it. Reducing his basking lamp wattage to 60W will help drop the temps but you may need to compensate for the lost brightness with something else - maybe using a halogen flood light for his basking lamp will help a bit.

I have the same problems as you. I noticed that the humidity has dropped to 12% from the heat. Also I changed my chams basking bulbs to 40 watts. But it is still too hot in my room. So I bought a little fan that I aim at the cage to help. Hopefully that will work with the extra misting sessions this summer.

Of course, I will do all I have to, to make sure he is ok. Just wondering what other measures I might take. Including moving to a lower level. What wattage on the halogen bulb would you suggest, Dave?
Got the fan, Marc.
I've even thought of lending him for breeding purposes during the summer to avoid the enevitable. This place gets unbearably hot. I've never had a place as hot as this before. Neighbors complain about it too.

same boat as ya bgirl... it was over 100 here today and my AC has been dead for a lil over a week. D'OH!!!! Lord willing it will be back on tomorrow so I can cool this biznatch down. Right now its pushing 90 in my room, however I have two fans in the cham area and mist every time I walk in the room so the temp is more in the low 80's still very hot, but its the best I can do till tomorrow...

I think without a doubt you will need an AC unit with a mist system to help with the dry air from the AC. If you have the setting sun coming in through the window then also think about getting a light colored heavy duty/insulated shade to reflect the sun light and heat.

-roo

This is great information. I am thirsting for more.
Chad, how are your chams acting in the heat? Going low? Hiding in the brush?

This is great information. I am thirsting for more.
Chad, how are your chams acting in the heat? Going low? Hiding in the brush?

Yep, that is exactly what they are doing... Roo hangs under a good cluster of brush and the adult girl stays just under the leaf layer of the ficus. Lord willing when I get home today the AC will be fixed and I can cool them off! How is yours doing? Do you have AC or just dont use it much?

~Chad

Tho if you have a fan behind your humidifer you basically got urself a swamp cooler. No, its not the -same- though it is the same idea-ish.

My cham hasn't been hanging around the basking branch as much lately. My cage is pretty wide and I turned only one basking light on over on one side. He usually spends a few minutes basking, then moves over to the shaded side for most of the day.

my baby also

My veiled has almost stopped eating, but is still active. During the night the temp is way to hot. he has good uv and my humidity seems to stay high around 50. any ideas besides misiting and a fan?

Thanks Dave. I'm looking at the Fujitronic... the one that's the 4 in one. If it can do all that and is only 10 or so more dollars than the others.... well... purified and negative ions? mmmm I've always loved the negative ions. But will Fractal?
All ideas given will be used.

Hey Adam, I'm going to get the portable swamp cooler. However, I've been advised against the negative ions. Temperature MUST drop in the night to low 70's upper 60's. Fractal liked it when it was in the 60''s best. I will aim for that in the nights. Click on the link provided by Dave Weldon, above in this thread, That's where I will get mine.

Got my AC fixed yesterday... Kinda... They got it blowing cold air but broke the controller so now im freezing my ass off in a 50deg house because it wont turn off and is on full blast cold mode! I put back in the higher W bulbs cuz the girls were looking cold... Ugh... I cant win.. LoL... :rolleyes: Who knows what will going on when I get gome today :p

Got my AC fixed yesterday... Kinda... They got it blowing cold air but broke the controller so now im freezing my ass off in a 50deg house because it wont turn off and is on full blast cold mode! I put back in the higher W bulbs cuz the girls were looking cold... Ugh... I cant win.. LoL... :rolleyes: Who knows what will going on when I get gome today :p

Arrggghhh.... Can't believe they broke the controller and left you like that! Poor babies! brrrr

The temps dropped here for two nights and froze me and Fractal... poor guy... looked a little stressed. Evened out again and he's a beautiful green with his turquoise blues. Now the weather is headed back to a mini heat wave again. Come on swamp cooler!!!

Back
Top Bottom