heat pads for roaches?

arnau666

Established Member
ok so i am preparing for winter and low temps.
i was thinking to get heat pads for my plastic enclosure for my roaches.is this safe?
is the exo terra heat wave desert of 4w enough ? is it to much? or i need a higher W one ?
thank you

I don't know the heat pad you speak of but I am toying keeping more. At present I have a plastic box with a few Dubais in my incubator with my Leo and cresty eggs kept at around 29 degrees. Using a heat mat pluged into a pulse proportionate thermostat. The Dubais seem happy but there food tends to dry quickly.

Normally you keep the heat pad only half the bin, the half with the egg cartons, then the food stays on the unheated section.

I use the Sunbeam heating pads made for people, with the "stay on" feature. They usually come with adjustable heating levels also. They're inexpensive and have worked great for me. You can turn them down in the summer and up in the winter. And they don't get hot enough to melt plastic containers. I found mine at Walgreens.

ok so i am preparing for winter and low temps.
i was thinking to get heat pads for my plastic enclosure for my roaches.is this safe?
is the exo terra heat wave desert of 4w enough ? is it to much? or i need a higher W one ?
thank you

That heat pad should be adequate, although you'll want to make sure there is air flow under the tub you are housing the roaches in. As long as you have some space for air flow, you can use that size pad (perhaps one slightly larger) without any problems. Just be careful, as it can melt the plastic if you do not have adequate air flow under the tub.

An easy way to ensure you have adequate space, especially if you've lost the plastic "feet" that come with the heat pad, is to just make stacks of 3 pennies and tape them to the corner of each tub. :)

-Jen

Back
Top Bottom