Heat lamp

Rocco010

Hey everyone, I was wondering how long I should leave my veileds heat lamp on. I've been leaving it on constantly, but I'm not sure if it's messing with his sleep patterns. So should I turn it off at night or leave it on?

Definitely off at night. The lighting shedule helps them to set their internal clocks, regulate hormones and such. It is good for them to have a drop in temps at night. I have my lights on a 12 hour schedule. On at 8am and off at 8 pm. They need the dark to sleep. No lights.

Chams need a drop in temp during the night, and even if the bulb wasn't providing heat, the light will keep them awake. Use a timer to turn the basking and the UV bulbs on and off daily. I like to have the UV bulb come on first in the morning then have the basking bulb come on about 1/2 hour later. Then have the basking bulb turn off 1/2 hour or so before the UV bulb turns off for the night. This sort of gives them a dawn, midday, and dusk light cycle. Depending on how warm the room gets during the day in summer you may not need to leave the basking bulb on all day...he'll want it to warm up in the mornings so he can patrol, hunt, drink, etc. If the room will get too hot at midday, you can set the timer to turn the basking bulb off for a few hours and then come back on after it cools off.

Back
Top Bottom