Heat lamp at night ?

Callum1168

Hi every one
I know I'm probably asking stupid questions by should I turn my heat lamp off at night and let tempuratures drop or should I keep it on?
Thanks in advance for any replys :cool:

What are the temps at night? It usually is not a good idea to run a heat lamp at night. It is good for the temps to drop for the Chams at night. What kind of Cham is this for? I know for Jackson's it is fine for the temps to drop into the mid to low 60's at night.

turn it off, i usually have mine go off bout half hour after my uv goes out, i have heat lamp on for 12 hours and uv on for 11
i live in the uk aswell so, in the winter we will both need to get a ceramic heat emmitter as they need to have complete darkness at night to sleep.

I have a panther chameleon nosy be :)

And I've got a wooden viv and have my heat lamp on a thermostat

Il just unplug the thermostat at night.

Thanks for replying ! ;)

I checked the pet shop today, cos I've also been thinking about the oncoming winter *sigh*, anyway, they had some matt black heat bulbs, so they don't emit any light. I was thinking of buying one & swapping it with his basking light in the evening & setting the thermostat low (say 20C), so if the room does get too cold at night, it'll kick in.

just checked my conversions, I think 17C would be a better temp

Last edited:
I checked the pet shop today, cos I've also been thinking about the oncoming winter *sigh*, anyway, they had some matt black heat bulbs, so they don't emit any light. I was thinking of buying one & swapping it with his basking light in the evening & setting the thermostat low (say 20C), so if the room does get too cold at night, it'll kick in.

just checked my conversions, I think 17C would be a better temp

I have used the ceramic heat elements that screw in standard light bulb ins. The advantage of these are the life is much longer than bulbs. The will cost you about $35 though.

Yeah, if you need heat at night (and it seems you will for part of the year) then a NO LIGHT element is what you want. Ceramics are the norm, there are "black" bulbs as well. My gut feeling is that I would buy a ceramic rather than a black bulb. I can't really tell you why, it just seems more right to me. Maybe it's because I wonder if the black bulbs might not prove to be very fragile and likely to blow up...I have issues with light bulbs, I find them sort of scary so the idea of one that is coated to contain one level of energy wiggs me out a bit (not that it's hard to wigg me out).

in my opion veilds and panthers do well and need a tempature drop at night. there colors are better,they shed easyer,are more active,and digest there food better as long as they have a mid 80s basking spot during the day.You need to rember these creatures live outside.Madgascar gets into the low50s at night during the rainey season.I live in Oregon It freezes at night in the winter months. my thermostat is set to 60 at night I use no night heat lights.......

They definitely benefit from the drop in temps...but there are limits to how cold is okay. Some people who keep chameleons live in Alaska and Canada, so obviously they need heat at night.

They definitely benefit from the drop in temps...but there are limits to how cold is okay. Some people who keep chameleons live in Alaska and Canada, so obviously they need heat at night.

I agree but not many people let there house temp go under 60 at night

I agree but not many people let there house temp go under 60 at night

You can't assume that.

I'm old. When I was a child we went to visit Grandma in Baton Rouge and the only heat in the house was from little radiators in important rooms....when we went in winter it did, indeed, get really cold. I remember having to stay wrapped up in my robe and giant nightshirt while the radiator in the bathroom got up to speed before I even tried to take a pee.

So, no, you cannot assume a night time temperature of 60 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom