He Likes to Go Out

Valiant

Hey folks,
Something we wanted to check on.

Monk is growing and seems healthy and generally happy. He's often properly anti-social :) but has never gaped or hissed at us. We don't overhandle him at all, and he's in a good intermediate-sized cage with lots of room and cover for his current size. It's been a long, cold Canadian winter this year, so we've been careful with his environment (humidity and temp, etc...).

SO, his cage is in a large south-facing window which he loves. we'll find him catching rays coming through the window sometimes.

recently, however, he's begun to regularly want out of his cage. as soon as we pop the door open to feed him he'll slither over and up onto the top of his cage.

then he'll sit on the cage-top and stand in the window and look outside for a half-hour or so before he'll permit us to put him back inside. sometimes he'll even take a relaxed walk up and down my arms (and head) before he strolls back into his cage.

as i said we think his environmental conditions are correct, and he seems otherwise healthy: is this okay? it doesn't seem like normal cham behaviour as we've seen it described here and elsewhere.

thanks for your time reading this.

Attachments

• Feb 2009 005.jpg
    Feb 2009 005.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 151
My 2 year old male Leon has always acted in just the way you described-there is not an obviously stressed bone in his body.

Lily loves to come out and have a wander too! She doesn't object to being handled or show any signs of stress, in fact she's very placid and friendly.:D If she wants out then she'll walk up my arm and that's ok, but if she wants to stay in she just sits and looks at me! I never force her to come out or physically pick her up, it's strictly on her terms.

If I ever leave my cage door open for my veiled, he will run up on top a lot. :p

When my cham got older he started doing that exact same thing... Its as long as all conditions are still met. However, it is still perferable that he stay in his cage. You may want to try highering it. He may just be trying to go upwards towards the sun... If not..he may just be outgrowing the cage and wanting to explore.

Back
Top Bottom