Having trouble with high humidity during the day

I’ve been catching Eustis on and off with his mouth open since yesterday. There’s no stringy saliva or anything like that. He’s not struggling to breath or anything but I’m concerned. His temps have been in the 70 s at the most during the day and in The 60s at night. His humidity has run in the 70% all summer long during the day and at night it’s 70-80%. Hat do y9unall think I should do?
@JacksJill @Mendez @Kaizen @Sonny13
Hi Linda,
Sorry for the late response, I never saw a notification. My boy as you know is free range and yet I notice this same behavior sometimes. Never figured out why they do it, because humidity was low and he wasn’t basking, but mostly a few days later he started to shed. As long as your temps aren’t too high and he isn’t showing symptoms of an URI it won’t be that concerning. Just keep a close eye on him for eventual symptoms.

Hi Linda,
Sorry for the late response, I never saw a notification. My boy as you know is free range and yet I notice this same behavior sometimes. Never figured out why they do it, because humidity was low and he wasn’t basking, but mostly a few days later he started to shed. As long as your temps aren’t too high and he isn’t showing symptoms of an URI it won’t be that concerning. Just keep a close eye on him for eventual symptoms.
He’s not been gaping yesterday or today but I did notice a short time of the nose in the air thing. He’s not doing it now though. one thing that bothers me is he has stayed in the left hand side in the back of his cage for the last 3-4 days and doesn’t move from there unless he’s eating Which is only a few minutes in the morning when I put feeders in his dish. He is eating ok And pooping ok. His urates look good. I’m just really nervous and worried.

He’s not been gaping yesterday or today but I did notice a short time of the nose in the air thing. He’s not doing it now though. one thing that bothers me is he has stayed in the left hand side in the back of his cage for the last 3-4 days and doesn’t move from there unless he’s eating Which is only a few minutes in the morning when I put feeders in his dish. He is eating ok And pooping ok. His urates look good. I’m just really nervous and worried.
It’s always nerving when they suddenly show a behavior change. Was he lately extremely activate? Like roaming around a lot, searching for a female? Mine did and now for a week he completely slowed down, by just basking all day (in the morning and the rest UVB), also the room temperature has drop a few degrees due the start autumn with its cooler weather. Just keep a close eye on him 👍🏻

I figured out today that it is the muffin fan that I turn on in the morning to help dry out his cage, that he is afraid of. He was basking and enjoying himself ( for the first time in a few days) and as soon as I turned the muffin fan on he went to the back of his cage. Maybe that is why he’s acting different. I turned the muffin fan off and then I was gone for the day visiting family and didn’t get home til lights out for him. I’ll be home all day tomorrow and can watch him closer. I do think he is ok, I’m just a little anxious about him. The change of seasons is always a little difficult with humidity levels and temps.

It’s always nerving when they suddenly show a behavior change. Was he lately extremely activate? Like roaming around a lot, searching for a female? Mine did and now for a week he completely slowed down, by just basking all day (in the morning and the rest UVB), also the room temperature has drop a few degrees due the start autumn with its cooler weather. Just keep a close eye on him 👍🏻
He did that back a month or so ago. Now he’s calmed back down but he’s just doing weird things. I think it’s the change of seasons like I said.

Didn’t read responses(short on time), but if your home humidity is 70%+ you should get a dehumidifier. I wouldn’t worry about the Cham given you have normal temps and air exchange, but I would worry about mold and water damage over time in your house.

You don’t really want humidity past 50% as that can lead to mold growth and water damage.

That post was from September and I was having humidity issues then and had all summer because the humidity is high in Maine in the summer but now it’s getting colder and the heat is on so now I’m not having issues with it. Thanks for your concern. I appreciate it!

Have an odd thought. you will have to excuse me but i dont reme!ber the name of it. In florida we used to get These cups with a product in it that would soak up the humidity. Used to keep them in the closets. Does anyone know what i am talking about? Also wild chams live in flucuating weather so i think they can handle it.
Silica gel is good! (Think of the little packets of the little white balls that are inside your new shoe box). BUT, silica is poisonous to many animals when ingested, so they need to be carefully contained and kept out of reach...

A dehumidifier in the room should also help

Silica gel is good! (Think of the little packets of the little white balls that are inside your new shoe box). BUT, silica is poisonous to many animals when ingested, so they need to be carefully contained and kept out of reach...

A dehumidifier in the room should also help

Yeah there are little dollar store containers you can buy that suck up humidity from the air. If in a small space they work pretty well, you toss them once they fill with water.

And fun fact, silica gel isn’t toxic. The warnings are for choking. Not that you’d want you or your animals to eat it, but eases the mind a bit 👍

Back
Top Bottom