Having trouble attaching lamps...

CloudsMystique

Where do you guys keep your lamps? I have a screen cage and I don't know where to attach them.

My cage is on top of a piece of furniture, so the top of it is near my curtain rods. I attached the heat lamp to the curtain rod, and it worked fine, but the UV lamp was just too heavy. I thought about removing the clamp and just setting it on top of the cage, but the bulb sticks out a little bit and it won't stay upright.

What should I do?

Get a different lamp or different bulb. Most people put it on top of the cage. Depending on what type of Cham you have and what wattage bulb you have it should be right on the cage. Having it too far away might be not enough heat and bask. I like the ZooMed basking bulbs. Most people who have it on the cage use the 50 watt version. Not sure which lamp you are using, but I have used 3 different brands and the bulbs never stick out farther than the lamp.

Also you say UV lamp? I hope your not using a compact UV light. As those do usually stick out of the lamps. Those are bad for chams. Can cause blindness. Do a search on here for more details. You want the tube style.

It won't melt the top of the cage if you set the lamps on it?

I'm using a ReptiSun 5.0 Compact Fluorescent. I thought that was the one everybody said to use...

If that's the wrong one, it's no big deal. I won't have the chameleon until next week, so I'll just switch them out. Thanks for the help.

The reptisun 5.0 that we talk about is the linear tube onem you can get it from like 12"-36" and you can get a hood fixture for less and $15 from walmart and around $20 for a hood at any reptile store.

As far as for heat/bask use a 40-60 watt house bulb in a normal fixture and you shoul dbe able to put it right on top of the cage, both lights right on top of the cage. Its how my set up and TONS of other peoples set ups are. As long as you dont have the top of the vines/trees to where your cham can get to the top of the cage and possibly touch the bulb/wire the bulb is directly over you will be perfectly fine :)

Also you say UV lamp? I hope your not using a compact UV light. As those do usually stick out of the lamps. Those are bad for chams. Can cause blindness. Do a search on here for more details. You want the tube style.

Just a quick question. What do you mean by compact UV lamp? I have http://www.exo-terra.com/download/high_res/products/images/PT2187_Repti_Glo_Packaging.jpg

I take it that's a compact lamp?

it's in this fixture

http://www.exo-terra.com/download/high_res/products/images/PT2225_Compact_Top_Packaging.jpg

I was looking for a fixture for a tube lamp, but there aren't any that will fit on top of the cage.

how is that bad for the chameleons? It's just as bright as a tube light....

IMG_9379.jpg

IMG_9381.jpg

Back
Top Bottom