having a breeze in cage?

phase

hi i have installed a fan to blow air out of my enclosure. but i was wondering that if i turn the fan around to blow air into the enclosure, will the cham like it or not? the room temperature stays around 75-80deg so im not blowing cold air into the enclosure. any input? thanks

my humidity was at a constant 75-85%.. i have been trying to lower it to 50-65 range (this fan helps to pull some humid air out).. the temp is not effected as it is such a small fan. my temps stay constant at 80-82. i was just wondering if i blow air inside, will the cham like it? or not? thanks

Air flow

IMO I would not blow on your cham. The air might be too much for his lungs. One thing I noticed when air blows on my cham is that he tries to find a leaf that will protect him. Plus respiratory and eye condition problems are so prevelent. Be careful if anything gets in their eyes you are going to have trouble. Eyes are so very important.

What kind of home does your cham have?

yeah thats what i was thinking.. i dont have my cham yet but i will be getting him in a couple days. the enclosure is mesh top and door with the rest glass. i think i have it pretty much under controll. i have been running my setup all day and it seems to be pretty stable with the fan blowing the air out..

fan

hi i have installed a fan to blow air out of my enclosure. but i was wondering that if i turn the fan around to blow air into the enclosure, will the cham like it or not? the room temperature stays around 75-80deg so im not blowing cold air into the enclosure. any input? thanks

I use a fan to circulate the air on all my chams, In both my walk in plant room and my cages in the house they seem to like the fresh air and often hang out were there is a breeze. I am not blowimg a fan full blast on them. i am just moveing the air.

Id keep the fan turned away. Sounds like a good idea to keep the air in the room circulating but to have it blowing on them is another story.

Yeah.. i totally meant just a breeze inside the enclosure.. this will also make the plant leaves move around a bit.

pull the air out

If you really need to circulate the air in the enclosure with a fan, I would face it outward and pull the air out. You're moving the same amount of air either way.. but if it's pulled out, the new air replacing it will be a more uniformed flow instead of a concentrated stream blowing in.

yeah thats what i was thinking.. i dont have my cham yet but i will be getting him in a couple days. the enclosure is mesh top and door with the rest glass. i think i have it pretty much under controll. i have been running my setup all day and it seems to be pretty stable with the fan blowing the air out..

You should really have an all screen enclosure for chams.

there is nothing bad with a glass/mesh enclosure though.. as long as you can keep the temp and humidity controlled then you should be fine.. yes alot of you guys use all mesh, but it really doesnt matter as long as the environment is controlled.

I suppose with a lot of cleaning and making sure there is nothing staying wet it would be ok. I don't like to bug the chams too much with my cleaning rituals so that's why I stick with the screen enclosures... less fuss, in my opinion.

Good luck!

true but in all reality it really doesnt make a difference. :cool: .. anyways thanks for you help guys! i have been pretty succesfull in keeping the humidity stable at 65-70% with the fan blowing air out

Hey I know your probably going to reject my advice but I just thought I would throw it in there...

I know your stable at your humidity but I really do have to stress that if your trying to keep humidity stable you need to go to a mesh enclosure... Your right there is NOTHING wrong with glass or plexi but the point of it being okay lies with creating humidity naturally with your geographical climate and CA is NOT the place... Humidity can already be high and a fan IMHO will down the road create VERY dangerous situations for your cham even though now your only seeing positives... A draft of any kind like that can drag in foreign bodies going into your chams lungs which can easily lead to an RI... Thats why it is recommended to keep them AWAY from fans or vents.... I honor that your trying to create the proper environment for your guy but do it in other ways... You can also use MORE fake plants.. This may be contrary to what your used to hearing but we use REAL plants for many reasons which include the fact that they raise humidity... But if your humidity is too high, you don't need real plants... I do hope you take this into consideration as I fear the future post where you ask for help regarding an RI /: But again it is up to you...

i totally understand where you are comming from..but the fan is sucking the air out of the cage.. there is no draft and it doesnt spin to fast. i have been toying with the idea of replacing some more glass with mesh but i dont think its even necessary. your concern is totally valid but IMHO i really dont need it if i can controll it without effecting the cham.

If its sucking the air from the enclosure that IS the draft... It's creating a circulation of air in AND out of the cage... And if you turn your AC on or your outside-the-cage temp drops it's going to pull that air into the enclosure... Thats how fans work, its creating a circular air flow... A fan will make it harder to keep temps up and then you'll have to increase the temps somehow which will make the basking situation harder... Like I said it's more hassle than just to go with your gut and replace with more mesh

the fan i so small though. but maybe your right.. i will look into mesh enclosures and seen what i come up with..

but one question.. having an all mesh cage, wouldnt it be even harder to controll temps and humidity levels? it will be just as big of a hassle. just sayin:cool:

I had a fan blowing in my room where I had one of my chams. She developed an eye problem and died. I contribute it to the fan I had going. May not have been the fan but that's the only thing that was different than all the others. Her vet also thought this could have been the cause.

Back
Top Bottom