Have you used this med

yaya25

The vet gave me enrofloxacin for my girl. Just wondering if anyone has any probelms with this?
took my girl to the vet he gave me this stuff and 3 days later she died. And I have a feeling that it was the meds.

she had lost her nail, and there was some swelling, so I took her cause i thought infection, and the vet said that she did have an infection, and gave me enrofloxacin to clear it up.

i think its more commonly called baytril. my guy had it for 3 doses ( it was supposed to be 4 but i didn't want to over medicate and the vet agreed with me on it) she told me it's really hard on their kidneys so before leaving the house to get his shots i would put him in the shower for 10-20 minutes until he would face downward and was full of water. i also had the vet give him " a hydrating injection" she called it with every baytril injection, i really have no idea what it was. even with all the water and "hydrating injections" by the 3rd shot his urate had turned orange. thats when i stopped the injections. hes doing fine today. i'm so sorry to hear about your little one. what was the treatment for?

edit: i just saw you posted about her tail. it does make sense for baytril to be the medicine of choice since its for bacterial infections (at least thats what my boy got it for) i would say it was either too strong or not strong enough. i have no idea. did her urate ever turn orange?

She wasnt getting injections I had to give it to her orally. Her Poo was all white and brown like it should have been, She was still eatting and drinking..
And it was her Nail.. lol not tail.. haha

I was giving my mellers baytril several times a day for several weeks. I was also concerned about overmedicating. It turned out the cham getting baytril 2 to 3x a day for a few weeks was ok because the strength of the medication wasn't all that high. (thanks for settling my fears Dave) :)

Or maybe it was too strong and damaged the kidneys. Did you have a necropsy done?

I thought maybe the dose was too high for her size, but i figured he was a vet that he should know what he was doing.. I was told to give her 0.5ml 2 times a day. I didnt have anything done when I found her. I just buried her and left her be.

You need to know the dilution rate in order to determine the strength the medication is mixed to. I've never heard of giving it twice a day though.

"You need to know the dilution rate in order to determine the strength"
That is true. but I think the dose was to high for her. when I took her to a vet before when I was in a different city not to long ago, the dose of some other med was only 0.02ml once a day. where this was 0.05 twice a day. may have been too much for her. that is what i am thinking.

" I've never heard of giving it twice a day though."
Yup i was told to give her 0.05 ml every 12 hours. I even said to him that I thought that was too much for her size, he said no it would be fine.

Should have listened to my gut and only gave it to her once a day.

Back
Top Bottom