Hatchlings Rubbing eyes

Bradycham

Established Member
I have about 46, 1 week old Ch. africanus hatchlings and they are all intermittently rubbing their eyes on the vines & Mesh. I am not sure what the problem is, I keep humidity high at night and they spend the days outside in the sunlight.

I did keep them under 4 65 watt power compacts in a 55 gallon for a few days, while we had bad weather here.

They are currently eating FF's, pinheads & mantid hatchlings.

Any ideas what could be causing and almost entire clutch to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I can't help you, I've read a thread a while ago about similar issue, but the babies had infected eyes and it was seen with the naked eye.
Could it be related to the bulbs you use? I'm just guessing here...

Sometimes babies eyes can be sessitive to the lights. Even a new Reptisun 5.0 can irratate their eyes. I use older bulbs and hang them up off the tops of the enclosures. Could also possible be the water you are misting with. Were the enclosures clean? Maybe something with their enclosures. Just a few of my thoughts. I hope some others will have ideas for you also.

Sometimes babies eyes can be sessitive to the lights. Even a new Reptisun 5.0 can irratate their eyes. I use older bulbs and hang them up off the tops of the enclosures. Could also possible be the water you are misting with. Were the enclosures clean? Maybe something with their enclosures. Just a few of my thoughts. I hope some others will have ideas for you also.

Thanks Jann. I am thinking it is the lights being to bright. I have them out in the sun right now and not as many are doing it as a few days ago. It seems it is only the youngest that are doing it.

Maybe their eyes are not fully developed??

Does anyone know how long it would take a hatchling to dig about 2 feet up through a years worth of compacted sand and soil? I only ask, because maybe their eyes are still developing while digging to the surface in the wild after they hatch. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom