Hatching some silk moths

Steve A

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I decided to give this a shot. Not sure how long the rest of this process will take but if it finishes today Spike will get a chance to eat his first ever moth tomorrow! 🙂

20240206_073618.jpg

Please take a video to share!
I just checked on the moth and he hasn't made much progress. The only way I can get video is if he doesn't hatch until friday-saturday (not sure how long the moth will live?). But if that happens I will take one saturday morning! If he hatches earlier, I am just gonna place him in his bowl for him to eat while I'm at work. If he waits for me to get to work I'll try to screen record on the live feed lol

I just checked on the moth and he hasn't made much progress. The only way I can get video is if he doesn't hatch until friday-saturday (not sure how long the moth will live?). But if that happens I will take one saturday morning! If he hatches earlier, I am just gonna place him in his bowl for him to eat while I'm at work. If he waits for me to get to work I'll try to screen record on the live feed lol
I think they usually live about 2 weeks? Not sure though I always feed mine off right away because I’m so excited.

From my experience the moths don’t take that long to come out of the cocoon. Maybe like 5-10 mins or less, once they secrete the stuff that dissolves the silk so it makes a hole for them. You may have to assist it. 😬

From my experience the moths don’t take that long to come out of the cocoon. Maybe like 5-10 mins or less, once they secrete the stuff that dissolves the silk so it makes a hole for them. You may have to assist it. 😬
You probably should assist it. My Hawk Moth only half emerged. I didn't help but it was dead the next morning.

Yeah, just use a nail clipper and nup the cocoon off it. U should hold off w feeding it until it has mated. Besides the moths are so entertaining. But as far as when u do feed it, spike will prob gobble it down the second he sees it. Chams LOVE THE MOTHS🤣

So I decided to give this a shot. Not sure how long the rest of this process will take but if it finishes today Spike will get a chance to eat his first ever moth tomorrow! 🙂

View attachment 351150
I have a few coccons stuck to the wall for 3 days now, think I should carefully pull them off and place them on paper towels? I read it says to leave them affixed for a few days to ensure they are fully enclosed. So I’m not sure and scared I’ll kill them. Lol

I have a few coccons stuck to the wall for 3 days now, think I should carefully pull them off and place them on paper towels? I read it says to leave them affixed for a few days to ensure they are fully enclosed. So I’m not sure and scared I’ll kill them. Lol
When the cocoon feels solid, you can peel it off where it's attached and lay it down. I usually keep mine in a shoebox, where I also have the bottom of one of thise clear low profile containers, and a little broken up news paper pieces.

When the cocoon feels solid, you can peel it off where it's attached and lay it down. I usually keep mine in a shoebox, where I also have the bottom of one of thise clear low profile containers, and a little broken up news paper pieces.
Thanks! That’s what I’ll do. 😊

View attachment 351150
Update: I think he didn't make it 🤨 he's not moving. I'll leave him in there with the rest and hope I'm wrong though. But he was kinda fluttering before and he isn't now.

20240209_162902.jpg

Success!! The first one is confirmed dead. But the second one that hatched looks good! I have him in his own little cup until tomorrow morning where he will go into Spikes breakfast cup of doom and hopefully will be a good snack for Spike.

Side note: these little guys poop a lot 💩

I'll try to hand feed him on video to Spike in the morning but if he doesn't right away I'll just have to put him in the dish

20240212_164016.jpg

Spike wasn't ready to eat this morning lol He wanted to bask a little then start .....playing. So I just left the moth on a leaf. He still hasn't started eating so it's still there. What I need is for one to hatch closer to the weekend. This way I can be at home and wait to feed him in the morning when he's ready :)

I have more hatching and it looks like they're mating? 🫣 I tried to feed one to Spike but he wasn't in the mood to eat anything. He was just mad because I was invading his space during the day. I took off work today.

Dog is thrilled. Spike wants me to go to work 🤣

silkies are so damn adorable. B-Spike doesnt know what hes missing out on, all my chams are literally drooling. lol
I'm hoping they survive to the weekend and then I'll try again. He's not really eating much on a daily right now. In fact yesterday, I don't think he ate anything. Although it's possible he ate a hatched BSF. Today he ate 2 silks and possibly 1 cricket.

So I'm hoping they'll still be alive or another will hatch by Sat, then I can try to feed him one again.

Spike wasn't ready to eat this morning lol He wanted to bask a little then start .....playing. So I just left the moth on a leaf. He still hasn't started eating so it's still there. What I need is for one to hatch closer to the weekend. This way I can be at home and wait to feed him in the morning when he's ready :)
If it's a female it won't flutter and therefore of no interest to cham. You can put in little dish and shake it around to get interest.

Back
Top Bottom