Hatching Silkworms... WHAT was I thinking???

I don't mind the small ones.. But I still would not give them cute status... I have larger ones though and they creep me out. ickkkkkk
Lol! I like mine so much I'm getting ready to go bioactive with them and give them a nice enclosure with cork rounds instead of egg crates.

I would definitely microwave the chow to heat it enough to kill the bacteria or mold spores in it. I feel like it keeps better that way. I use 1/3 or 1/2 cup batches. I nuke it for 5-6 minutes total stopping it if it seems like it might boil over.
I also don't grate mine because I could never get the grater clean enough. I use a clean knife to slice off flat slivers and lay those flat. I have a set of tweezers I use to move stuff around.

I would definitely microwave the chow to heat it enough to kill the bacteria or mold spores in it. I feel like it keeps better that way. I use 1/3 or 1/2 cup batches. I nuke it for 5-6 minutes total stopping it if it seems like it might boil over.
I also don't grate mine because I could never get the grater clean enough. I use a clean knife to slice off flat slivers and lay those flat. I have a set of tweezers I use to move stuff around.
Interesting All I have been doing is using close to boiling water and pouring it in as I mix the 1/2 cup of powder. Haven’t had any problems with mold or die offs knock on wood haha. I’m just going by an old thread where I seen a @sandrachameleon post doing it this way.

So 1/2 lb is roughly 1 1/2 cups so I do 3/4 cup of chow and double the water. Microwave for 3min. Stir. Microwave for 2 min. Stir. Place in fridge with lid. As @snitz427 said they such at climbing especially when young. I just let them poop on their food and change out every couple days.

So 1/2 lb is roughly 1 1/2 cups so I do 3/4 cup of chow and double the water. Microwave for 3min. Stir. Microwave for 2 min. Stir. Place in fridge with lid. As @snitz427 said they such at climbing especially when young. I just let them poop on their food and change out every couple days.
Are you putting Seran Wrap over it when you microwave it?

How many babies are you up to now? How many have you lost so far? Just wondering what the average loss rate is and will be at by the time they get to feeder size?

So they all died...... I think it got too cold for them last night. It was 67 in the house when I woke up. :(
Awe sorry to hear that Becca. I know you were looking forward to watching them grow up and get bigger.

They are so fragile. How is it that they are not an extinct species yet?

So I have some moths emerging, and I’m pairing them up to mate and they seriously cannot figure it out! I did NOT have this problem last time. Last time it was easy! This time I pair up what I’m pretty dang sure are male/females and nope, nothing. Swap out individuals for other, no luck. So then I just put them all together, a free for all! I have 5-6 pairs now but all the other are either just lying there or males are fluttering around trying but unable to figure out how to lock up. Same conditions as last time, but less success so far, any thoughts? Or are they just that helpless and stupid that they honestly can’t even figure out how to mate?

Sorry to steal your thread Becca!

So I have some moths emerging, and I’m pairing them up to mate and they seriously cannot figure it out! I did NOT have this problem last time. Last time it was easy! This time I pair up what I’m pretty dang sure are male/females and nope, nothing. Swap out individuals for other, no luck. So then I just put them all together, a free for all! I have 5-6 pairs now but all the other are either just lying there or males are fluttering around trying but unable to figure out how to lock up. Same conditions as last time, but less success so far, any thoughts? Or are they just that helpless and stupid that they honestly can’t even figure out how to mate?

Sorry to steal your thread Becca!

I get some moths like that... they must be socially awkward because they just can't make it work. I would just leave them all together and let nature take its course. The females will release a liquid that will attract them. There are always a few extra males who act like knuckleheads, trying to interrupt a mating pair so they can mate. They'll figure it out!

I've also had "crappy" silkworm days, too. Nothing worse then but guts in your eyes and mouth.

Back
Top Bottom