Hatching Silkworms... WHAT was I thinking???

I have my eggs sitting at about 85 right now. They are up ontop my cage sitting away from the light. I was going to set them on my T5 fixture as well but I just have them on the screen sitting near the fixture. I’m checking the temps with my temperature gun

I have my eggs sitting at about 85 right now. They are up ontop my cage sitting away from the light. I was going to set them on my T5 fixture as well but I just have them on the screen sitting near the fixture. I’m checking the temps with my temperature gun
Prepare for salt sized hell... I am just saying... This is not fun lol.

This thread was really helpful for me... But I can't say that I am going to be this devoted lol https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/posting-my-silkworm-experience.168402/
Very informative thread but that’s way to many for me haha. Over 1,000 silkworms is probably crazy to deal with! I only have one chameleon at the moment to feed so I don’t need something large scale. If I can Get some eggs and store them for a few months then take them out as needed that should be good enough for me. Obviously I’ll keep some to grow up and breed to keep the cycle going but no way I’m dealing with a 1,000 silkworms at a time haha

I messaged you but no response :(
He thinks just because he had a baby that gives him an excuse to blow you off...... How rude!

image.jpg

Ya I raise a 100 of them for my hedgehog and it wasn't fun. I used mulberry leaves which I store in the refrigerator. I feed the silkworms in the morning and at night. I had to manually transfer them onto the old leaves each time. And my hedgehog wouldn't even eat them, the picky a******. So a few became moth, mated and laid eggs, gave all of them to a friend.

Ok so my little blobs of food were like little rocks this morning :( So that did not work... I tried to place a larger blob on the paper towel but then realized that my chow was way too wet as they were getting stuck and sinking into it. :(

Soooooo I cooked the chow down more and took two lids and filled those then put the little plastic grate up in it food. . Then I had to transfer them all. I am hoping this will work for at least a few days because this is not something I want to be attempting each day. They are popping out like crazy this morning... Every time I walk by and look there is another one that has hatched... So the tooth pic has become my best friend and I move them using that.

I will be lucky if one survives me :hilarious: #TheStruggleIsReal

IMG_3565.JPG IMG_3566.JPG

The more I read about hatching silks, the more I realize this is not something I want to try.

I hope many survive to feeder size for all the hard work you have and are going to have put into them.
LOL I don't mean to discourage you... I just want people to know how much work goes into these guys and I am only on day 2 of the hostage situation :hilarious:
I will continue to happily buy them from morifeeders.com and will not be trying this again.

I think your biggest problem is your chow is too wet. That might be why they aren't just climbing on themselves.
Yes they are a PIA because you have to feed them daily but they aren't all that bad.
Yeah I cooked it longer to get it a bit dryer.... I think my biggest issue with this is the fact that I feel bad when things die... I have come to terms with the bugs dying when I feed them but these are little helpless things that I am responsible for so I am all concerned about killing them. lol

They said hatch your own silks... I said sureeeee why not. I gotta get the full Cham keeper experience right?

OMG so I have eggs probably 100 of them. They have been sitting out and I have been waiting for them to hatch... looked today and saw some microscopic dust looking thing... I was like hmmm. Then it moved ever so slightly....

THESE THINGS ARE TINY! LIKE WHAT DID I GET MYSELF INTO? This is a pic zoomed all the way in... The wood thing... NO that is not a branch that is a dang tooth pic.

View attachment 238969
The food looks a little too wet. It will get moldy and could kill off your colony. It should be similar texture to cheese if you cook it right. Use very small, thin strips to feed them. I went through alot of trial and error with silks...

Back
Top Bottom