Coastal Silks Silkworm Keeper

Yeah this is what I bought... But I throw it away if its too dirty and a pain and just cut another piece from the roll. LOL I am lazy though.
lol I did that a couple times but I didn't want to create another thing for me to have to rebuy all the time doing this. So I literally changed it all up, and just started using a small plastic critter cage. I just put them in a pile in the middle and sprinkle their food on top with a cheese grater.

I get my silkworms from Ralph Fryer at Red Silk and he ships them in the same type of cups that hornworms come in. They last for a couple weeks and grow to full adults.
How many silks are you getting at a time though? I have over 100 that I'm currently keeping. I'm gonna look into Red Silk though. This is the first I've heard of them.

lol I did that a couple times but I didn't want to create another thing for me to have to rebuy all the time doing this. So I literally changed it all up, and just started using a small plastic critter cage. I just put them in a pile in the middle and sprinkle their food on top with a cheese grater.
Yeah I think I just tend to feel too sorry for the bugs. So I felt they needed something to crawl on to get outa the poop before I send them to their death :hilarious:

Yeah I think I just tend to feel too sorry for the bugs. So I felt they needed something to crawl on to get outa the poop before I send them to their death :hilarious:
Well to be fair I still pick them all out daily - every other day and make sure they're all nice and clean always.

I am super afraid of letting the poop stay there and getting moldy or something. I am constantly cleaning their bin out. I pick them all out with tweezers, pull off any hard food that they're stuck to, and put them on a paper plate, a lid, and then clean the cage out, then put them back in with fresh food.

Usually every day, but sometimes I can let it go 1 day

How many silks are you getting at a time though? I have over 100 that I'm currently keeping. I'm gonna look into Red Silk though. This is the first I've heard of them.
I get 40 every two weeks. They’re usually a mix of medium and large so they don’t all cocoon right away. Ralph is a great dude to work with. No surprises with this guy. Text to (315) 945-0268

Back
Top Bottom