Harness for chameleon?

morrisseysbaby

Hello!!

I am a first-time chameleon owner. I got my first baby at the end of January, & she’s currently a little over five months old. She is incredibly social, & absolutely loves hanging out with my partner & I. We have recently started taking her on walks outside (she just sits on our shoulders or head as we walk around, she definitely doesn’t walk freely on the concrete like a dog or anything). I want to keep taking her out bc she loves it so much but I am concerned about her accidentally falling off our shoulders at some point.

I’ve been wondering if it might be worth it for us to get a harness for her? I’ve been looking around on here a lot & there seems to be a lot of knee jerk anger toward people using harnesses (definitely justified in some cases!), but I want to clarify again that we won’t be walking her like a dog or anything remotely like that, we just want to be able to carry her with us & make sure she’s safe. I of course don’t want to stress her out. I just wanted to know if y’all think it might be worth it for me to get one, or otherwise maybe reassurance that she’ll be okay without it? I just want my girl to be able to enjoy the sunshine safely & without stress, lmk your thoughts!

Edit: We live in an apartment complex & do not have a backyard, so an outdoor enclosure isn’t really an option at the moment.

Last edited:
Do you have a balcony? That might work.
No :( we have a ficus tree inside that she climbs around on when she seems to be feeling cooped up, but she also really likes going out for walks so I’m just looking for how to safely go about that

No :( we have a ficus tree inside that she climbs around on when she seems to be feeling cooped up, but she also really likes going out for walks so I’m just looking for how to safely go about that
Out of curiosity, what makes you think she feels cooped up and how are you coming to the conclusion she loves hanging out?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what makes you think she feels cooped up and how are you coming to the conclusion she loves hanging out?
that’s a good question!! i tend to think that bc she’ll get really antsy & move around a lot in her cage, climbing the cage walls, also any time she catches sight of me or my partner she gets very active, pretty much any time we open the cage she is climbing onto us. I suppose it could also be a heat or humidity thing? we keep the humidity between 60-70%, basking spot usually sits at 85F & the lower part of the cage is usually 65F.

that’s a good question!! i tend to think that bc she’ll get really antsy & move around a lot in her cage, climbing the cage walls, also any time she catches sight of me or my partner she gets very active, pretty much any time we open the cage she is climbing onto us. I suppose it could also be a heat or humidity thing? we keep the humidity between 60-70%, basking spot usually sits at 85F & the lower part of the cage is usually 65F.
Have you done a husbandry review? It might help to make her feel a little more comfortable in her enclosure.

How big is her enclosure?

I agree with @jannb In this situation. I wouldn't recommend to anyone using a harness.

Maybe try a free roaming area in your house? If I remember correctly this is what jan (the user tagged in this post) does with her chams. 😊
okay yeah!! I don’t usually see harnesses on chameleons so that’s kinda what I was thinking. We do have a ficus tree in our house for her to free roam, but we like to get her outside for little periods of time too, & that’s mostly what I was worried about. thank you :)

okay yeah!! I don’t usually see harnesses on chameleons so that’s kinda what I was thinking. We do have a ficus tree in our house for her to free roam, but we like to get her outside for little periods of time too, & that’s mostly what I was worried about. thank you :)
It definitely sucks renting! I feel your pain. I would love to set up something outside for mine too! Sadly, it's just not feasible. And I don't feel comfortable take him outside as anything outside might trigger stress. Chameleons typically aren't comfortable going to new places all the time and it can cause a lot of stress.

I would definitely search the threads for more creative free roaming ideas for your cham if you want to add some enrichment for her! 😁

she is in a 16x16x30 mesh ExoTerra cage, & could you possibly elaborate on that a little bit?

Thank you so much for taking the time to discuss this with me, by the way! I really appreciate it :)
So that can be a reason your girl is cage climbing and getting antsy. That is a small enclosure for her. She def will need an upgrade very soon!

If you copy this and fill out to the best detail you can and provide lots of pics, we would all be happy to help you in any way we can!! Welcome to the forums!! I would love to see some pics of your girl!! 😍😍

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Last edited:
It definitely sucks renting! I feel your pain. I would love to set up something outside for mine too! Sadly, it's just not feasible. And I don't feel comfortable take him outside as anything outside might trigger stress. Chameleons typically aren't comfortable going to new places all the time and it can cause a lot of stress.

I would definitely search the threads for more creative free roaming ideas for your cham if you want to add some enrichment for her! 😁
that sounds like a good idea! thank you for your input, I really appreciate all the help I can get

A healthy chameleon gripping onto branches or clothes even is very unlikely to fall they are very precise in there motion. unless absolutely stressed & their last resort would be to drop like play dead and inflate there lungs on brace of impact with the floor. Im not sure what a harness would do to there limbs & or delicate tongue shooting rig in the neck area, would be more damaging then to fall on grass, plants or soil might be different with concrete though

A healthy chameleon gripping onto branches or clothes even is very unlikely to fall they are very precise in there motion. unless absolutely stressed & their last resort would be to drop like play dead and inflate there lungs on brace of impact with the floor. Im not sure what a harness would do to there limbs & or delicate tongue shooting rig in the neck area, would be more damaging then to fall on grass, plants or soil might be different with concrete though
oh that’s also a really great point! a harness isn’t seeming super necessary, especially considering if we do take her outside it’s really monitored & relaxed, just so she can bask in the sun a little. thank you!

So that can be a reason your girl is cage climbing and getting antsy. That is a small enclosure for her. She def will need an upgrade very soon!

If you copy this and fill out to the best detail you can and provide lots of pics, we would all be happy to help you in any way we can!! Welcome to the forums!! I would love to see some pics of your girl!! 😍😍

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
omggggg this is awesome, thank you so much. sorry to keep asking questions, but when I fill it out should I just post it in this thread, or maybe make a new one? i’m so new here i’m sorry

omggggg this is awesome, thank you so much. sorry to keep asking questions, but when I fill it out should I just post it in this thread, or maybe make a new one? i’m so new here i’m sorry
Nope! You can use this thread and everyone will read through everything 😁😁 it might be easier to stay in this thread so everyone can read thru everything and get some background. Just makes it a convenient place to read thru everything!

Edit: and no need to apologize. This site was confusing for me too at first. I think I lurked for months straight before even saying hi 🤣🤣

What you could do to give your cham some outside time is....
Upgrade to a 2x2x4’ enclosure which will make your sweet girl so much happier and as an added bonus, provides plenty of room for her lay bin. Then, set up the small enclosure with some branches and vines...keep it lightweight. Hang some fake plants outside the enclosure to provide her with some shady areas. That you can put her in and take her outside in while you enjoy some sunshine and fresh air with her. :)

I can’t believe you haven’t been torn to shreds by our members for your post lmao, Makes me very proud of everyone for being very patient with a new cham owner, I agree with everyone , you should focus on making your girls enclosure as big and comfortable as possible, the very last resort is for you to take your chameleon out for walks, she might now show it but everything you take her for a walk your more than likely stressing her out, which in the long term can be harmful for your girl. Check out the chameleon academy podcast, your gonna really enjoy learning about your girl.

Back
Top Bottom