Harness for chameleon?

I can’t believe you haven’t been torn to shreds by our members for your post lmao, Makes me very proud of everyone for being very patient with a new cham owner, I agree with everyone , you should focus on making your girls enclosure as big and comfortable as possible, the very last resort is for you to take your chameleon out for walks, she might now show it but everything you take her for a walk your more than likely stressing her out, which in the long term can be harmful for your girl. Check out the chameleon academy podcast, your gonna really enjoy learning about your girl.
The wording of my original post was incredibly misleading, and I am really sorry about that. I've only taken her outside once, where I just sat with her in the sun. I was really just trying to ask more in the abstract for the future (again, I definitely didn't word it that way, but either way that doesn't really warrant tearing me to shreds over it). I didn't know if there was anyone that did that with their chameleons and my question was answered pretty quickly. My only focus now is working on her enclosure. I'll be more careful about the way I word my questions from now on, and thank you for the podcast suggestion I'll definitely check it out.

Hello!!

I am a first-time chameleon owner. I got my first baby at the end of January, & she’s currently a little over five months old. She is incredibly social, & absolutely loves hanging out with my partner & I. We have recently started taking her on walks outside (she just sits on our shoulders or head as we walk around, she definitely doesn’t walk freely on the concrete like a dog or anything). I want to keep taking her out bc she loves it so much but I am concerned about her accidentally falling off our shoulders at some point.

I’ve been wondering if it might be worth it for us to get a harness for her? I’ve been looking around on here a lot & there seems to be a lot of knee jerk anger toward people using harnesses (definitely justified in some cases!), but I want to clarify again that we won’t be walking her like a dog or anything remotely like that, we just want to be able to carry her with us & make sure she’s safe. I of course don’t want to stress her out. I just wanted to know if y’all think it might be worth it for me to get one, or otherwise maybe reassurance that she’ll be okay without it? I just want my girl to be able to enjoy the sunshine safely & without stress, lmk your thoughts!

Edit: We live in an apartment complex & do not have a backyard, so an outdoor enclosure isn’t really an option at the moment.
Okay I'd like to clarify that my wording here was very misleading. 'Walks' was an incredibly strong word, I've only taken her outside once, just to sit in the sun. I was really just trying to ask more in the abstract for the future, because I wasn't sure if that was something anyone did. Clearly that is not the case, I have no intentions of stressing my girl out with it. I really appreciate those who have responded kindly and with good information, as I was really just trying to ask about something I didn't know! I'm sorry I wasn't clear in the original post. I'm planning to follow up with a husbandry report soon.

Truly we aren’t a bad bunch and rarely ‘tear anyone to shreds’...just those who are suspiciously trollish and essentially bait us into it. Most of us are passionate about chameleons and other critters and just want to make their worlds a better place for them. Never be afraid to post an honest and earnest question. :)
thank you! that’s really nice to hear😊

Back
Top Bottom