Hardest post ever...

SoCaliSon

Avid Member
Tragedy struck yesterday... I couldn't even bring myself to come on the forums... It was just a horrible day. It is with an incredibly heavy heart, that I inform you all that my buddy Lombardi the Veiled is gone. This is incredibly hard for me as I can't help but feel responsible.

The day was gorgeous so about 10am I decided to move some chams outside into the sun in their outdoor cages. Well I sat Lombardi on a big artificial cherry blossom tree that he loves and let him sit in the direct sun, outside the cage while I was out there with him, working. He sat on the tree basking for a good 30 mins watching me work on the patio. Well I stepped inside the house for literally for less than 1 minute... When I heard the sound of the Cherry Blossom tree go down. I left the spray bottle and ran out as quick as I could.... To find the tree down, and laying next to it was a large black crows feather. My heart stopped. I immediately started scanning the area to see if he was anywhere around. Well probably about 6 heart breaking hours later of looking for him in that general area I had to resign to the fact that he was gone. This is eating me up inside as I know this was my mistake for letting him sit in the open air on that tree... His outside cage was right there... But he seemed so happy right there in the sun that I made the horrible mistake of letting him stay there, even if for a short time. I have lost pets before, even cats and dogs... but for some reason this was the hardest yet for me. I felt so privileged and lucky to have ended up with such a beautiful friendly Veiled, right now I feel like he could never be replaced. You would probably think I am ridiculous if you knew how depressed this has me... A death is one thing, but one where I feel responsible for the loss of such a great animal is something else. Sorry to post such a downer thread... but I know a lot of you ask about Lombardi from time to time, so I wanted to share the bad news.

The bright side, if it is even possible... I still have around 25 Large Plump white eggs of his babies that should be hatching in the last months of this year. I will raise them to the age where I can find who reminds me the most of Daddy... and he will inherit the name.

Please let my loss be your lesson... :(

LombardiBox.jpg

CrazyChm.jpg

LombardiEmerging.jpg

100_0327-1.jpg

100_9825.jpg

Joe, sorry to hear about Lombardi. A great looking veiled. Are you sure he didn't get away? I'm sure you babied him so you are allowed to miss him.

My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry about what happened. I know it is hard but you need to forgive your self. Just know it will never happen again, and that Lombardi loved you.

Thanks guys. I ran out the second I heard that tree fall... And started searching the area immediately. I can only hope that he was able to get away and avoid that horrible demise... And hope even more that one day I will walk out on the patio and he'll be there, But after searching the few places he could have made it to yesterday for hours upon hours from two second after it happened... I began to lose hope for my little buddy. I really do care about all my animals alot... but for some reason I connected with Lombardi like I have with no other cham. Seems silly... But I'm sure I was WAY more attached to him than he was to me.

I am truely sorry to hear about this Joe. That bird must of been watching him for awhile and notice that you were gone and came down and swoop. I am devasted this had happen to Lombardi.:mad: Poor guy I hope when the tree fell down he somehow crawled inside your home and show up soon.

Joe,
So sorry to hear about your loss. Lombardi was a great looking veiled. Those dang crows are all over my area too. I never would imagine one doing that, sitting and waiting for it's opportunity. How could you have known? It's not your fault, just mother nature at work. I look forward to seeing your eggs hatch.
Tylene

Wait so what happened? A crow got him, or the tree fell with him on it?

Either way, that sucks.

I hope it wasn't a crow...I've posted on so many forums when people ask about letting their animals out side NOT TO DO IT!!

If it was a crow that got him, can we please make this thread a sticky. Crows are the best of opportunists and even with close supervision (12 feet away), I have had VERY close calls. I even had one crow get about 1 foot away from my male veiled while I was less than 3 feet away looking the other way.

I've known over a dozen people to have lost their lizards by crows and other birds of prey, so it's worth warning everyone about.

Sorry for the loss, that truly epically blows.

I am truely sorry to hear about this Joe. That bird must of been watching him for awhile and notice that you were gone and came down and swoop. I am devasted this had happen to Lombardi.:mad: Poor guy I hope when the tree fell down he somehow crawled inside your home and show up soon.

During my search yesterday I noticed a Crow repeatedly returning and watching over my patio from a power line that runs over my property. I had never seen them do this... but for some reason now this bird was fixated on my patio... I had to restrain from grabbing the pellet gun... Seriously. The tree knocked over, the feather, the returning crow... All this makes my gut sink for what probably happened to him.

Wait so what happened? A crow got him, or the tree fell with him on it?

Either way, that sucks.

I hope it wasn't a crow...I've posted on so many forums when people ask about letting their animals out side NOT TO DO IT!!

If it was a crow that got him, can we please make this thread a sticky. Crows are the best of opportunists and even with close supervision (12 feet away), I have had VERY close calls. I even had one crow get about 1 foot away from my male veiled while I was less than 3 feet away looking the other way.

I've known over a dozen people to have lost their lizards by crows and other birds of prey, so it's worth warning everyone about.

Sorry for the loss, that truly epically blows.

The wind wasn't bad at all... When I went in the house he was perched at the highest point of the tree... 15 seconds later I heard the tree fall... I had to have been at the tree a matter of seconds after it had fallen, and no Lombardi...only a feather. My guess is a crow spotted him, tried to pull him off the tree, and knocked the tree over at the same time. I am also guessing Lombardi put up a fight, based on the feather. It really does suck... because out of all the times I let them do this with my supervision..never even had a close call... But once $hit hits the fan, it's too late... And all it took was a couple of seconds with my back turned and he was gone. I didn't think that with me out there moving around and hosing things down that a crow would ever try to come in for the snag, I always new there was a risk, but I never thought the risk was big enough and didn't let it bother me... now I know better.

A crow got him? I have never seen a crow snag anything live, let alone something as large as Lombardi. Hawks, Ospreys, bigger actual birds of prey maybe. Joe-I am so sorry-I know how crushed you have to be. If he is truly gone-you gave him a wonderful life, if not, hopefully he got flung and is hiding. This is very sad.

Oh man Joe, that sucks and I am really sorry to hear this. However I do want to share a little story with you.

A day before going to OR a week or so ago I was sunning some young veileds inside their cage in a mild wind, I probably had 20 of them inside the cage. Needless to say I went in for about 15 or so min then came outside to find that a gust of wind must have tipped over the cage. Luckily I was able to find all but 2 that I had written off for goners. Well, when we got back from the trip I went out to water the garden and I noticed a little green stick that was running for deal life from the water. That’s no stick! I was shocked to find the little guy just fine other than the fact that he just got soaked. Then, this weekend I was mowing the grass and saw another moving green stick on a bush near the back door. All be damned it was the last missing veiled! Point is don’t give up, you never know when he may show up. But again I am very sorry to hear about your loss :(

I had to restrain from grabbing the pellet gun

Why? An eye for an eye I say!! I'd probable go out and buy a more powerfull BB gun...make sure to do the job in one shot..Crows are big birds.

I'm very sorry for your loss, and even more sorry the cham had to go out that way. Arn't many worse ways to go...eeck being eaten alive!!

Thanks for this thread Joe. I will not let mine outside unless in a cage from now on because I do the same thing. I go inside for a second for the phone or a drink never a problem. I however am more foolish because I have many bird feeders and those nasty birds r always around and I never really gave it any thought. This made me realize how lucky I am that it hasn't happened to me. Thanks for making sure it doesn't. Sorry for your loss Joe that really was an awesome looking cham and good luck finding the perfect offspring...

Back
Top Bottom