Hard water question

ChamLover04

I just got a reptirain misting system and the last thing I wanna do is clog it with the hard water in my hometown, it’s safe to drink and we all drink it here, but there are lots of minerals in there. There are a lot of hard water stains on the leaves in the cage aswell. Just recently in class we were shown that a tube that was like 6 cm (approximately 2.5 inches) in diameter got a huge layer of calcium carbonate so that the diameter was reduced to probably 1 cm (a bit less than 0.5 inch) in 15 years. Should I use distilled water for the reptirain aswell as for the fogger to prevent clogging and mineral build up?

Yes. Reverse Osmosis water.

I had a repti rain, but returned it for the cheapest mistking set. Have you looked at those? You don't have to refill them every day is why I switched. I got my mistking for $30 or $40 more than the reptirain so it was totally worth it for me.

Yes. Reverse Osmosis water.

I had a repti rain, but returned it for the cheapest mistking set. Have you looked at those? You don't have to refill them every day is why I switched. I got my mistking for $30 or $40 more than the reptirain so it was totally worth it for me.
Unfortunately, I’m from Croatia and the options are really limited here, I barely managed to find the reptirain available for purchase and the mistking isn’t available as the european amazon sellers don’t ship to Croatia which sucks because it was my first option. Until now I was hand misting so just replacing water every day isn’t a problem.

Unfortunately, I’m from Croatia and the options are really limited here, I barely managed to find the reptirain available for purchase and the mistking isn’t available as the european amazon sellers don’t ship to Croatia which sucks because it was my first option. Until now I was hand misting so just replacing water every day isn’t a problem.
Ah I see. The good news is the only reason I switched was for more capacity and options. But the reptirain did it's job well otherwise and has an awesome upgrade from hand misting :)

Ah I see. The good news is the only reason I switched was for more capacity and options. But the reptirain did it's job well otherwise and has an awesome upgrade from hand misting :)
Well so much for things not being available lol. Can’t get reverse osmosis water anywhere here. How would you compare distilled/demineralized water to the tap water then?

I use distilled water for everything, it's really cheap and you can get a gallon for around 2-3$. Our local grocery store carries it in multiple forms.

Jeez, thats like Milk prices...

You guys for SURE would benefit from an RO system.

Oh I sure would! Currently trying to convince my roommate that that's something we want to hook up. I rent, and I honestly don't know how long I'll be here, so it's tough.

Sorry to the OP for thread jacking a bit, but do you know if filtered water from the fridge is any good? :unsure:

Oh I sure would! Currently trying to convince my roommate that that's something we want to hook up. I rent, and I honestly don't know how long I'll be here, so it's tough.

Sorry to the OP for thread jacking a bit, but do you know if filtered water from the fridge is any good? :unsure:
I believe a fridge filter contains a mechanical filtration layer and a carbon layer. It won’t be as low of tds (total dissolved solids) as RO or distilled, but definitely better than tap.

FYI you can buy a hand held tds meter for pretty cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Dumsamker-Pr...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Don’t worry about it at all haha, the topic is still pretty much the same so every bit of info is useful. :) Oh and I accidentally said I got the reptirain already, but currently I’m not owning a misting system and the shop just emailed me and said they’re out of stock, but they do have exo terra monsoon multi. Does anyone have any experiences with it? And I’d ask for a comparison with mistking and reptirain, but it’s pretty much my only option now.

Don’t worry about it at all haha, the topic is still pretty much the same so every bit of info is useful. :) Oh and I accidentally said I got the reptirain already, but currently I’m not owning a misting system and the shop just emailed me and said they’re out of stock, but they do have exo terra monsoon multi. Does anyone have any experiences with it? And I’d ask for a comparison with mistking and reptirain, but it’s pretty much my only option now.

Monsoon is junk.

I would look for some cheap nozzles and misting pump, RO booster pump ect.

Even if it's not a "Reptile Misting System" as long it uses 1/4 inch line you should be fine.

Have you tried eBay?

Back
Top Bottom