Handling

Rly good news btw. My dad said he was going to just help me build a bioactibe cage. Soo, but idk he said he would be willing to spend some money on it. His plan is to build a 15x15 class cage. With rocks on the bottom and then a cloth with another layer of dirt. Then he will put that base on it and have like creeping vines and stuff on that fake vine. Yeah. And many more fake vines and lots of real plants. We are going to keep that like base peice if you know what I mean. Then like put the vines branching out on it. I’m like so excited. We are striving for a comeplete ecosystem.

don't come bother him every time you pass his cage, then he associates you with fear and unfortunately you will get nowhere with him, just sit in front of his cage. an hour a day.... read some books on chameleon behavior (if that's a thing) basic animal psychology. he sees u he associates you with food and water and he knows yo wont bother him all the time then he will start to open up to you... it takes a while but it will work.

minimum cage size for a chameleon veiled male is 2x2x4 ft.... also veileds wil eat substrate and get impacted be aware of that
Rly good news btw. My dad said he was going to just help me build a bioactibe cage. Soo, but idk he said he would be willing to spend some money on it. His plan is to build a 15x15 class cage. With rocks on the bottom and then a cloth with another layer of dirt. Then he will put that base on it and have like creeping vines and stuff on that fake vine. Yeah. And many more fake vines and lots of real plants. We are going to keep that like base peice if you know what I mean. Then like put the vines branching out on it. I’m like so excited. We are striving for a comeplete ecosystem.

minimum cage size for a chameleon veiled male is 2x2x4 ft.... also veileds wil eat substrate and get impacted be aware of that
Well, what if I put like small but large enough pebbles on the dirt so he can’t eat them, but will prevent it from being impacted from the soul

Well, what if I put like small but large enough pebbles on the dirt so he can’t eat them, but will prevent it from being impacted from the soul
riverstones and big magnolia leaves will do the job... nothing smaller than his mouth

If you are redoing the cage go larger to 24x24 or you’ll be doing it again in 2 months. I wouldn’t do glass but you can do 2-3 sides glass or acrylic and leave one side and the top screen for airflow.

There is a lot of good info on here and other sites about going bioactive so be sure to read up before jumping in.

If you are redoing the cage go larger to 24x24 or you’ll be doing it again in 2 months. I wouldn’t do glass but you can do 2-3 sides glass or acrylic and leave one side and the top screen for airflow.

There is a lot of good info on here and other sites about going bioactive so be sure to read up before jumping in.
Yes. Thanks, well the cage will still be screen mesh, but the bottom with all the dirt and stone will be in a box so when I clean it I just pull out the box.

Eating soil is by many believed to be a way they supplement for missing minerals. I have a a bioactive setup. I don't use rocks or pebbles. Only moss as the top layer and he's fine. Edit to add that the way I stopped ours from doing it is by diversifying the gut feed of his insects and diversifying the variety of feeders as well. He lost all interest in dirt. Once in a while he'll try to snatch an isopod out of the dirt, but that's about it. Also, a good way to keep him from becoming impacted is to make sure he's hydrated. Misting is key. Hornworms are also great.

I personally believe bioactive is the best way to go.

As for him retreating when you attempt to feed him -- that's normal. You'll spend a lot of time with a sore arm and nothing to show for at the end of a session. Give him some space. He will become less afraid over time. The key is to be very very patient. I cannot emphasize that enough. Just relax and enjoy the process.

If you go bioactive properly you shouldnt need to clean it other than spot treatment. You can have substrate that isnt necessarily bioactive and that DOES need to be cleaned and changed every so often

Reactions: iMi
If you go bioactive properly you shouldnt need to clean it other than spot treatment. You can have substrate that isnt necessarily bioactive and that DOES need to be cleaned and changed every so often

The only thing I have to clean is the branches from time to time. Everything else is addressed with the cleaning crew.

If you're thinking about bioactive, I'd consider listening to Bill Strand's Chameleon Breeder Podcast. Episodes 72 and 73 cover the basics of bioactivity and provide additional reading sources! It gives you a good idea of what's involved. :)

Regarding your little cham, in addition to the advice given above I'd personally add more foliage toward the top of your enclosure to provide more hiding places. The more secure your guy feels, the more likely he'll warm up to you.

~Amanda

If you're thinking about bioactive, I'd consider listening to Bill Strand's Chameleon Breeder Podcast. Episodes 72 and 73 cover the basics of bioactivity and provide additional reading sources! It gives you a good idea of what's involved. :)

Regarding your little cham, in addition to the advice given above I'd personally add more foliage toward the top of your enclosure to provide more hiding places. The more secure your guy feels, the more likely he'll warm up to you.

~Amanda
Thanks a lot, appreciate all the support

Back
Top Bottom