handling a veiled

davider

Avid Member
i want to see if you guys handle your chameleons everyday or not?

i have a 1 year old veiled female i got about a week ago...

everyother day i try to hold her she goes crazy on me hisses tries to bite puffs turns black!

what the hell is going on? should i give her time or what?

My male Veiled is easily handled, but my female never has been and never will be. You can't change the cham. If you have one that tolerates handling you consider yourself lucky.

I don't handle my chameleons everyday and any more than it's necessary.

everyother day i try to hold her she goes crazy on me hisses tries to bite puffs turns black!
That's her telling you not to do it. She can't make it more apparent. It's actually quite stressful for your chameleon to be handled.

One thing absolutely for sure: Never grab a chameleon. If you need to move her to another plant to clean cage floor, branches et cetera; either use one of your hand to hold in front of her, and use your other hand to more towards your first hand. No touching should be necessary by the hand on the back. If that does not work, use branches that she can hold on to and then move the branch out slowly. Always keep in mind that she/he can jump at any moment during move, so, act slow and go small distances when possible.

I pnly handle mine when I'm taking him out of his cage to his outside explorium for sunbathing time. He does the puff up and hiss, open mouth and threaten me routine, until I get him outside, then he just calms down a bit until he sees his outside digs. Then he tries to jump.

I'm hoping that after a few hundred times of the routine, he will tolerate the moving process.....

yah i have a male vieled thats around 1 1/2 and he hates being touched. he used to handle pretty well than for some reason all the sudden he hates it lol. i only take him out when i take him out side to sit in the sun

hey not trying to be mean here but no animal on this planet likes to be handled wat so ever! if you ask me they simply tolerate it because wat else are they going to do other then die, like i dont see my chameleon going " hey will you plz take me out and handle me " or " i love being handled" , like i have a female that doesnt mind to much do be handeld , doesnt mean soon as i get home i have to handled her , i know shes doesnt like it cause she gets dark spots all over her , and i respect that she doesnt like to be handeld , cause i wouldnt want to be handeld either, so i just let mine be and let her come out of her cage on her own when it needs to be cleaned i just take one of her vines and bend it upwards around the top of my cage and she follows it right ontop and then i can get into the cage with no hassles and no stressing of my animals , but thats my two cents on handling

i see what u guys mean thanks for your opionions..
today i popped open her cage and she came outside and then i held her and she was fine with it then back kin the cage she wenttt

I really think that every cham is different even though I only had 2 in my life so far, but the 2 I had couldn't have been more different. 1 really liked coming out of the cage and hand feeding but the other has never liked it and it really stresses him out. Sometimes I think maybe I could do something to make it better for him but what I have found is that its best to just let him be.
However just recently he started to hand feed after 3 months of trying everyday so maybe it is possible to "train" them, I am still trying to figure it out myself. :D

Back
Top Bottom