hand washing

I love this debate, antimicrobials vs regular soaps. Regular soap can destroy the bacterial cell wall of most that can cause harm, but what you dont want to do is kill (with antibacterial soap) the normal flora we have on our skin that will take up more space, thus the pathogens wont have and giving us a better chance staying healthy. When we over use antimicrobials we clear the pallet and invite pathogens to take over the empty space. ;) So although it may not kill what they have we greaten the chance of infection if we clear our own fighters:D

I agree w this. I don't use antibacterial soap or hand sanitizer because I don't want to kill the normal flora on my skin. I rarely ever get sick and believe it's a safer route. And I am also guilty of washing my hands before touching my chams but not always after.

I do also wash them after handling roaches cus they do seem to pee or secrete something and it's gross.

This made me start thinking about my own hand washing situation...I certainly should do it more!
I sometimes catch myself thinking...'I just was holding a bunch of worms and crickets, now I'm doing X...'

:eek:

I love this debate, antimicrobials vs regular soaps. Regular soap can destroy the bacterial cell wall of most that can cause harm, but what you dont want to do is kill (with antibacterial soap) the normal flora we have on our skin that will take up more space, thus the pathogens wont have and giving us a better chance staying healthy. When we over use antimicrobials we clear the pallet and invite pathogens to take over the empty space. ;) So although it may not kill what they have we greaten the chance of infection if we clear our own fighters:D

agree. "Normal" soap is entirely adequate.

Back
Top Bottom