Gutloading with mushrooms

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
The thought just crossed my mind, has anyone considered gutloading once and awhile with mushrooms(not the magic variety ;))? I know that they are very high in phosphorus, so one could compensate for this by upping the calcium the next few days. Many edible mushrooms apparently have a lot of health benefits. The lions mane even going as far as repairing nerve cells according to some animal studies. Any thoughts on this?

In the name of science... it would be interesting to see a Chameleon tripping balls on Psilocybin... Would I ever do this? No.

To answer OP question I would have no idea. I would think that as long as they're non toxic variety it would be fine to at least try it with your feeder insects.

I am a mushroom picker, especially in late summer/fall. I can tell you that bugs definitely love mushrooms!

Something I've noticed as well, from Clean up crews to out in the forest, I see bugs all over them. Makes me wonder if a lot of insects that chams eat naturally are feeding on fungi.

Very good question! Moist forests are teaming with mushrooms! And yes loaded with bugs! One of my favorites (Bolete's) always get loaded with fly maggots if you dont get to them before the flies get to them! Interesting idea!

Back
Top Bottom