Gutload still partly frozen ok to give to Dubia roaches?

WashingtonCham

Established Member
My gutload that I blended I froze into cubes and am smearing it across a paper towel as people have recommended. My question is if I break up the cube is it ok to put it in the Dubia enclosure still partly frozen like a slushy or should I wait till it’s completely melted. And also should I give them as much food and water as they want or only a certain amount?? I mean obviously they always need water but should I just fill a mayo lid to the top with gel crystals or just put a couple? Same with food? And also people were recommending putting some dog food in with my vegetable fruit/bug burger gut load? Is this true or should I still clear of that high protein. I know to much protein is bad but I heard if you don’t put any they’ll cannibalize

I throw in frozen cubes all the time. They’ll create slightly more moisture but they thaw relatively quickly in the warm cage.

You can put the cubes straight in there from the freezer I wouldn’t smear it on a paper towel or any kind of material that the bugs can eat cuz then the bugs will eat that material as well and no dog food in gutload it’s bad

You can put the cubes straight in there from the freezer I wouldn’t smear it on a paper towel or any kind of material that the bugs can eat cuz then the bugs will eat that material as well and no dog food in gutload it’s bad

There's nothing wrong with smearing it on paper towel. IME it gets them to eat it easier without mold growing quickly. Even if they chew the paper towel, it doesn't matter, it won't harm anything.

OP it's fine to throw it in partially frozen. Do not feed dog or catfood, only certain roach species will cannibalize often and dubia aren't one of them. You don't want to give roaches too much protein because of their ability to store it as uric acid. Roughly, feed about 4% of their diet as protein. I prefer to use vegan sources as well for that(seeds, bee pollen, grains, etc).

Back
Top Bottom