Guess What I got? A sound machine>>

Yes, I posted a whole Youtube Video of her Night Stalking.. I put her in the bathroom for her humdity bathing.. She was awake already hunting and then I turned on the shower it got warm and she settled down. But when I came in again she was hunting.. The whole time I was recording her because it was the first time she was in the bathroom.. As far as the sounds go. I play her stuff off of Rapsody like Jungle Rain and MOnkey screams.. She notices things more when I play the ambient music and the Conair sound machine setting jungle sounds make her go all wild beast on me. I love her personality. :p

Slightly confused...

So here's my confusion... They do not have ears... Not that they're not visible, just NOT THERE.... SO if memory of biology seres me right, hearing is related to vibrations by which ear bones vibrate to reverberate the sounds into the ear drum where they are magnified... If I'm correct, having no ear drum would make it impossible to even sense the vibrations and be able to in ANY way discern them??? Therefore I have to say though it may sound mean... These attempts at pleasing the cham sounds REALLY wasteful monetarily and though I understand spoiling them, do it with plants, feeders, misters, vines, feeders, more feeders.... And they DEFINITELY need to be asleep at night... If they are awake I would consider that a sign that something (I "can't" IMAGINE what it would be) is keeping the cham awake... Without the proper rest and depletion of light, their digestive system could suffer (correct me if I'm wrong)... I'm just al little worried that OVER-love could be a very bad thing if applied wrong like this...

....why do i feel an overwhelming gut feeling of the next thread to come ?
Because you think Chameleons can only be healthy in a sterile environment? Or because you assume that someone else can't look after their animals? It won't kill anyone for a chameleon to stay up late if it's a one off.........

So here's my confusion... They do not have ears... Not that they're not visible, just NOT THERE.... SO if memory of biology seres me right, hearing is related to vibrations by which ear bones vibrate to reverberate the sounds into the ear drum where they are magnified... If I'm correct, having no ear drum would make it impossible to even sense the vibrations and be able to in ANY way discern them??? Therefore I have to say though it may sound mean... These attempts at pleasing the cham sounds REALLY wasteful monetarily and though I understand spoiling them, do it with plants, feeders, misters, vines, feeders, more feeders.... And they DEFINITELY need to be asleep at night... If they are awake I would consider that a sign that something (I "can't" IMAGINE what it would be) is keeping the cham awake... Without the proper rest and depletion of light, their digestive system could suffer (correct me if I'm wrong)... I'm just al little worried that OVER-love could be a very bad thing if applied wrong like this...
Well, I can feel vibrations in my finger bones too.....I reckon Chams can feel the bass rock them in pretty much the same way I do.....I'm unsure as to how much they can reasonably be said to 'hear' but that's because senses overlap and hearing is really just a very sophisticated form of touch - who knows what we could discover about a Cham brain? They are crazy adapted all over the rest of them..........
P.s. I don't play loud bass at all often in the Cham room - partly because of my irritating whiny neighbour......

Well, I can feel vibrations in my finger bones too.....I reckon Chams can feel the bass rock them in pretty much the same way I do.....I'm unsure as to how much they can reasonably be said to 'hear' but that's because senses overlap and hearing is really just a very sophisticated form of touch - who knows what we could discover about a Cham brain? They are crazy adapted all over the rest of them..........
P.s. I don't play loud bass at all often in the Cham room - partly because of my irritating whiny neighbour......

Excellent point about the finger bone I know how bass feels all over the body, maybe animals with ears are more alert and comprehensive because we have an organ that is picking up vibrations so it is easier where as an animal or Chameleon, has more difficulty pickng up vibrations but still can. My cham cannot hear, I make low and high noises and he cannot tell. Sneaking up on him silently now that is a different story. I have tried these things he can't here sound but I feel they pick up on movement by more than just their eyes.

kire

They can feel vibrations without ears. Some snake ears actually do have rudimentary ear bones internally, just without any external connection. It is possible chameleons are the same way some scientists think. So they don't hear things in a conventional sense, but they can feel vibrations, if not through their ears then through their bodies when a branch moves.

Regardless of whether or not your chameleon is reacting to noise or not, why is it hunting at night?? Thy can't see in the dark so there must be a light on somewhere for this to be occurring. Why aren't you letting your chameleon sleep when it should? There should not be any light on at night, and they should be eating earlier in the day because basking, thermoregulation and stimulation from UV rays are essential to proper digestion. None of this will occur at night. Feed your chameleon in the morning. Play sounds for it if you want but you should try to stick to a 12 hour day/12 hour night schedule. And at night there should not be any lights on, not even those blue or red night lights because a drop in temperature at night is a good thing and helps their metabolism. They are fine with temperatures down into the 50s at night.

They can feel vibrations without ears. Some snake ears actually do have rudimentary ear bones internally, just without any external connection. It is possible chameleons are the same way some scientists think. So they don't hear things in a conventional sense, but they can feel vibrations, if not through their ears then through their bodies when a branch moves.

Regardless of whether or not your chameleon is reacting to noise or not, why is it hunting at night?? Thy can't see in the dark so there must be a light on somewhere for this to be occurring. Why aren't you letting your chameleon sleep when it should? There should not be any light on at night, and they should be eating earlier in the day because basking, thermoregulation and stimulation from UV rays are essential to proper digestion. None of this will occur at night. Feed your chameleon in the morning. Play sounds for it if you want but you should try to stick to a 12 hour day/12 hour night schedule. And at night there should not be any lights on, not even those blue or red night lights because a drop in temperature at night is a good thing and helps their metabolism. They are fine with temperatures down into the 50s at night.
Exactly right, all of it, and very well put.

Ever heard of a neurophone? Even we humans can hear through our skin to some extent. We know they feel vibrations so obviously they can hear in some way, and we don't know how extensive their hearing is. Feeling vibrations is how we hear too! Also, just because they don't react to a particular sound doesn't mean they didn't hear it, either.

Dayna you always put my thoughts into words so well, thanks. Now I just hope he "hears" and listens to all of us.

I think what I was trying to get across got skewed into jargon lol I do that from time to time... What I was trying to do was draw a comparison between feeling vibrations through skin which I do believe every creature does in their own way (arguably in my opinion making total deafness impossible) and between the use of the sound machine and the cham being able to 1) pick up the vibrations which are not bass (the higher the sound, the higher the vibration and the harder to perceive) and 2) be able to adjust their reactions to the sound and react in the way that she is talking about... I totally know that vibrations can be felt regardless of ears its just the connection between the ear drum and the brains perception I was questioning... I think I cleared myself up haha... SOrry if I got to over my own head with biology... Law student, not a biologist lol

I think what I was trying to get across got skewed into jargon lol I do that from time to time... What I was trying to do was draw a comparison between feeling vibrations through skin which I do believe every creature does in their own way (arguably in my opinion making total deafness impossible) and between the use of the sound machine and the cham being able to 1) pick up the vibrations which are not bass (the higher the sound, the higher the vibration and the harder to perceive) and 2) be able to adjust their reactions to the sound and react in the way that she is talking about... I totally know that vibrations can be felt regardless of ears its just the connection between the ear drum and the brains perception I was questioning... I think I cleared myself up haha... SOrry if I got to over my own head with biology... Law student, not a biologist lol
Yeah because it's got a bit about semantics and what 'hearing' means now, lol.
I did study Biology for a bit at Uni (no qualifications, lazy stoner.....) and had heard that Veileds were thought to possibly still have internal ear bones as ferretinmyshoes mentioned. I didn't want to bring it up myself in case I'd remembered wrongly.....

people who are deaf go to dances, just as hearing people. the difference is they turn the amps to the floor, and they pick up the vibration. So they might not "hear" the music, but they most certainly "feel" it, and are able to discern a tempo, which enables them to dance to the beat!

My little bit of trivia for the day, and an fyi, I have seen this in person so I know for a fact it to be true, maybe not all circumstances, but this one for sure!

They physcially don't have ears. They are as deaf as a doornob :)

Chameleons do have an auditory membrane along with tiny bones which can pick up airborne sound or "vibrations" like the bones in human ears. They rely on ground and branch vibrations and do NOT use their ears for defense or hunting. But, to say they can't hear is kind of silly when they have the hardware.. Anyways, it's a shame when people like OP come to forums for help, disregard what everyone advises, and makes another useless thread about some "sound machine" like we are from the 1870's.

Source
"The study of the chameleon ear that began with Chamaeleo senegalensis and Chamaeleo quilensis has now been extended to two further species, Chamaeleo höhnelii and Chameleo jacksoni, with results that are different in important respects. As measured in terms of cochlear potentials, the two species of the present study show definitely poorer sensitivity to aerial sounds. Also their responsiveness to these sounds is not made much worse by severing the columella, an observation that stands in contrast with the serious impairment that this operation produces in C. senegalensis and C. quilensis.

The explanation lies in a difference between the sound receptive mechanisms in the two groups. In the species examined earlier a substitute tympanic membrane was found: beneath the surface at the side of the head is a diaphragm formed by a thin plate of the pterygoid bone and a membrane extending its surface to the border of the quadrate bone. In addition there is a branch process (anterior process) of the extracolumella that attaches to the middle of this pterygoid plate, and transmits the movements made by the plate in response to sounds to the stapedial footplate in the oval window. ."

LOl I do like though how this useless purchase has allowed for a pretty informative discussion on the presence of ears on chams and how they are applied... Leave it to a useless post to bring about intelligent conversation haha

Chameleons do have an auditory membrane along with tiny bones which can pick up airborne sound or "vibrations" like the bones in human ears. They rely on ground and branch vibrations and do NOT use their ears for defense or hunting. But, to say they can't hear is kind of silly when they have the hardware.. Anyways, it's a shame when people like OP come to forums for help, disregard what everyone advises, and makes another useless thread about some "sound machine" like we are from the 1870's.

Source
"The study of the chameleon ear that began with Chamaeleo senegalensis and Chamaeleo quilensis has now been extended to two further species, Chamaeleo höhnelii and Chameleo jacksoni, with results that are different in important respects. As measured in terms of cochlear potentials, the two species of the present study show definitely poorer sensitivity to aerial sounds. Also their responsiveness to these sounds is not made much worse by severing the columella, an observation that stands in contrast with the serious impairment that this operation produces in C. senegalensis and C. quilensis.

The explanation lies in a difference between the sound receptive mechanisms in the two groups. In the species examined earlier a substitute tympanic membrane was found: beneath the surface at the side of the head is a diaphragm formed by a thin plate of the pterygoid bone and a membrane extending its surface to the border of the quadrate bone. In addition there is a branch process (anterior process) of the extracolumella that attaches to the middle of this pterygoid plate, and transmits the movements made by the plate in response to sounds to the stapedial footplate in the oval window. ."

I stand corrected!
I figured there was nothing there since they have no external ear to speak of. Disregard my comment then.

Yes, I posted a whole Youtube Video of her Night Stalking.. I put her in the bathroom for her humdity bathing.. She was awake already hunting and then I turned on the shower it got warm and she settled down. But when I came in again she was hunting.. The whole time I was recording her because it was the first time she was in the bathroom.. As far as the sounds go. I play her stuff off of Rapsody like Jungle Rain and MOnkey screams.. She notices things more when I play the ambient music and the Conair sound machine setting jungle sounds make her go all wild beast on me. I love her personality. :p

"Sounds" (yeah, pun intended) to me as if the odd hour, lights, the shower, disruption, whatever portion of the auditory spectrum the poor cham can sense all adds up to stress. Her activity "going all wild beast on me" (whatever that means) could be simple agitation at being forced to do something she doesn't want to do. I would NEVER ask a cham to be active when it wants to hide and sleep. She probably isn't enjoying any of it or feeling very vulnerable.

Last edited:
I stand corrected!
I figured there was nothing there since they have no external ear to speak of. Disregard my comment then.

I had no idea either, but there are a lot of people are saying the same thing or that they only hear "vibrations" and not sounds. In fact, sound is vibration :rolleyes: . However, there is a big difference to a chameleon's reaction between the resonance frequency that is caused by a predator landing on a tree limb, as opposed the vocal call the predator may produce. So, maybe that's what they were saying.

I doubt they can hear our talking, I don't think their ears or vibrational receptors are as complex as other animals. Of course they can hear bass though, the wave lengths of bass freqencies have been known to bow windows, rattle things off desks etc because of the pressure they (bass waves) apply to the air..so in turn technically if you have any type of receptor on your skin that deals with pressure you can feel sound but not hear it...you'd have to do something complex like distinguish two sounds at a very broad spectrum of sounds.(20hz to 60khz fo example)

Back
Top Bottom