Guess the species – one day old hatchling

But back on topic again, congrats on the super B.super babies! you better keep us up to date with photos of th, no more slacking off like you have been with the photos lately.

Pill bugs and sow bugs carry parasites and so do snails. I don't know what their parasites would do to a chameleon.

True, however all my WC pygmies have them in the first place and I know for a fact that I’ve seen them in my CH/CB ones as well. Keep in mind that the CH/CB were kept in plastic containers/no live plants and fed roaches from my colonies and farm raised crix. So it’s a pretty good bet that the parasites came from the feeders. I’m quite sure most of us know this, but even farm raised insects can have parasites.

From my experience, pygmies are more interested in crix and the other feeders I offer and don’t usually eat the pills and snails. They may if under fed, but I feed my critters pretty well. I don’t treat for parasites – it’s pointless with pygmies IMO. To effectively do it, you would have to keep them in an environment free of any soil/live plants, have SEVERAL fecals done to identify the parasites, get the meds, administer several rounds of the meds, do more fecals to check if they are gone, maybe even more meds, etc. Pretty much a pain in the a$$ and there are no guarantees that you would get rid of them – a LOT of stress for the animals too. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t treat your cham(s) for parasites though – this is just what I do/believe in.

Now if you are saying that the local snails/pills have DIFFERENT parasites then I see your point, but pretty much every plant I buy will have some sort of cargo come along with it – whether it be snails, mites, whatever and to separate the cargo from the plant is pretty difficult. Now that I think of it, I have heard that the frog peeps will fill the tank with CO2 (minus the frogs obviously) and close it off to kill unwanted critters. I guess it’s pretty effective.

I think it’s worth the risk though, the snails and whatever do a great job keeping things clean in the tank and if your husbandry is up to par then the chams can live with the parasites. Old age and bad husbandry will probably give the parasites the upper hand and cause death.

-roo

Back
Top Bottom