Growth after neglect?

Tattersb

Avid Member
I have a male veiled I rescued about six months ago from a poor environment. He had no water, no supplementation, inadequate lighting and only received a diet of meal worms. He was painfully thin and weighed 90 grams. The previous owner said he had him about a year, so I'm guessing he was around 18-20 months old when I received him. I corrected his lighting, diet, supplementation, hydration and took him for his first check up. Since I've had him he's gained 40gm and shed 5-6 times. My question is this: since he was essentially neglected for a year when he was a juvenile, is it possible for him to attain the normal size of an adult male veiled, or will his growth be stunted?

Your biggest concern is MBD. As long as he was just "underfed" and the bones did not warp too badly, he should fill out pretty good. There really isnt a time limit on growth. Its more of a race to get the biggest the fastest for breeding season. But if you happen to hatch towards the end of the wet season, its going to be slim pickins for 4-6 months. Its why they adapted to eat veg in the wild as a last resort when the bugs run out.

Your biggest concern is MBD. As long as he was just "underfed" and the bones did not warp too badly, he should fill out pretty good. There really isnt a time limit on growth. Its more of a race to get the biggest the fastest for breeding season. But if you happen to hatch towards the end of the wet season, its going to be slim pickins for 4-6 months. Its why they adapted to eat veg in the wild as a last resort when the bugs run out.
No MBD per vet, and his bone structure is actually good. Thanks for the info!

A veiled chameleons most crucial growth period is between hatch and 6 month's of age. If something was done to stunt the growth at that time he will forever be that size unfortunately. There is no getting that time back.

Well hes around 130 grams at 2 years old. And hes put on 50% more weight between 18 and 24 months.

I would consider a 150g male an full grown adult, a 250g a biggin, and a 300g a monster outlier.

How long tip of nose to end of tail is your boy? I would say that is a pretty good weight gain. My male is only 14-15 inches at 1 year and is at 124 grams. However he is showing a little chunky in his casque so I am trying to get him to drop a few grams.

How long tip of nose to end of tail is your boy? I would say that is a pretty good weight gain. My male is only 14-15 inches at 1 year and is at 124 grams. However he is showing a little chunky in his casque so I am trying to get him to drop a few grams.
It's hard to tell, but if I had to guess I'd say 13-14". He's not much for being handled, and since he came from a fraternity house I just act as his maid and give him his space.

Well hes around 130 grams at 2 years old. And hes put on 50% more weight between 18 and 24 months.

I would consider a 150g male an full grown adult, a 250g a biggin, and a 300g a monster outlier.
Good deal, I see so much conflicting data I wasn't sure. It seems like there are a lot of 200g+ reported.

Back
Top Bottom