Greenhouse for breeding project questions!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on green houses for chams! Im based out of los angeles and want to house about 40 chams in a green house for all obvious reasons! Natural sunlight, more room, fresh air and the jacksons can roam free! I have some blue prints for a basic green house but was wondering if anyone had any advice and or experience with them! I have questions like how do I control the temp when its to hot? Whats the best way to heat at night? What to be cautious about! Whats the best way to do it? and if its realistic! I know my chams will be happier I just want to do this right! So any info would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have any experience with this but others on here will definitely be able to help.

I have a few questions/concerns that I would be thinking about if it were me.

Like said how to control temps as they can get very hot.

What type of roof is on the green house? As most glass/plexiglass roofs will block most of not all UVB rays. So make sure to test it and get a solar meter to be sure.

Will you have them in cages or just a large free range?

Hmmm those are a few things to think about. I'm sure someone else on here has done this before.

Best of luck!

Male jax and some female can be pretty territorial. Unfortunately, you won't know until you put them together. I have tried community keeping of jax, and it just created unwanted stress. Even in a LARGE enclosure. As far as night heat, as long as temps are above 45°f (i prefer above 55°f personally, to feel a little more confident) it is un-needed. Hope this helps. If you go this route, go as large as possible, and as many plants as possible (high and low). Good luck.

Keep in mind that most solid substances will block UVB rays so you would have to provide a light for them. There are some acrylics that allow UVB to mostly pass though but I'm not sure exactly which ones, you will have to do a lot of research on that part.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on green houses for chams! Im based out of los angeles and want to house about 40 chams in a green house for all obvious reasons! Natural sunlight, more room, fresh air and the jacksons can roam free! I have some blue prints for a basic green house but was wondering if anyone had any advice and or experience with them! I have questions like how do I control the temp when its to hot? Whats the best way to heat at night? What to be cautious about! Whats the best way to do it? and if its realistic! I know my chams will be happier I just want to do this right! So any info would be greatly appreciated!

There's no way you could house more than a few (maybe 1-2 males to 2-3 females at most) even in a large greenhouse. If it would be built in LA, I would worry that summers will get way to hot for jackson's without some serious chilling.

Sounds like you would be much better off with an aviary style enclosure than a greenhouse. Also most greenhouses will filter the sunlight. Some sort of mesh structure is going to suit you better in the long run but it will probably be more expensive.

For a green house you will need to use Solacryl sheets on the roof so it will let UVB thru it.. its the same stuff they use on tanning beds..

Back
Top Bottom