green house

casidonacid

hey i was wondering if this would be a good idea. i was thinking in flordia if you had a green house and put like 2-4 panthers in it. i would have long work lights with uvb tubes in them and ventilation with screens so they could get out but the one i was looking at was 10 ft high and 12 feet long. anyone have any feedback?

i thnk you should be fine, sounds pretty awesome. You would have to supply alot of plants and vines for them to climb on so they could stay away from eachother and you would have to put alot of feeders in there so they can hunt easily, cups wouldnt work.

ya i was thinking of having a separate coner for like cricket breeding and hornworms and all those good things butdo you think i could have like two males and two females in there? I would load them up with plants and vines and have a huge misting system

ya anyone else have any expericence or heard of this i looked it up and alot of people do it i just wondering how many panther can be kept in one

ya i was thinking of having a separate coner for like cricket breeding and hornworms and all those good things butdo you think i could have like two males and two females in there? I would load them up with plants and vines and have a huge misting system

casa if u want to go big like your explaining i'd put a c.parsonii in it if if some show on ks. lol

I am sure that would be a pretty expensive venture! You would need a way to cool down a greenhouse that small as the temps here in Florida would cause it to get oven like, and misting would cause the humidity to get way high.

haha nic if i had like 3000 dollars i would get a parson cham but ya it would be ventilated so humidity could get out and have a big wall fan to keep the humidity down

1. a green house is not expensive to build

pvc plans can be found online.
2. there is a great artical out there i think it is on chris anderson's website although i'm not sure.
3. shad cloth can be used as most of the roofing to cool it down
4. in the plans i saw the floor and bottom couple feet of the greenhouse was reinforced with chicken wire to keep out raccoons and other nuisance and potenitally predatorial animals.
5. you can build all the greenhouses you want, it will still be "too hot" for panthers between june-mid sept
6. when it rains, it cannot stay wet in your green house, you must have ventilation and drainage, not an option
7. learn from the experience of others and don't keep panthers that can see each other in close proximity, females will most likely become stressed and gravid with infertile clutches, and males will just be unnescesarily stressed all day trying to reach females...also males seeing males will have conflictual/terriotorial displays which is a huge waste of energy in my opinion.
8. in the winter time you can add plants around your green house to help shelter it from cold temperatures, you will most likely only need supplemental lighting from december to march, at this time you may also want to add a humidifier
9. misting systems are always great, but when dealing with a closed environment or semi closed environment careful attention must be taken to make sure you aren't over doing it, shorter infrequent mistings are my best advice

using raised floors is a very good solution to keep ants and such out in my opinion forklift crates work great if you can find four or so and coat them up with waterproof in an industrial part of town, you can find whole stacks of them in perfect condition.

white is the best color to use for the walls as it is the most reflective color besides metallic which is almost fully reflective, but i wouldn't use that for several reasons, stick with white poly film, easy to clean, waterproof, durable

good luck, do search because several people have already done this

there is a brreeder here in arizona that does that , but its a 36' x 20' green house, the misting system is incredible along with the AC units.

he keeps about 20 chams in there in totall, you walk in and its like a jungle.

damn thats cool ya i will have to do some more reading on it i wouldnt be able to do it untill a few years i was just seeing if people have done it. thanks

Conserning greenhouses, i've seen they are quite pricey in america,
however i'm living in beijing and found a supplier here in China for very interesting prices.
I've ordered one and have been testing it for 6months now. I keep a trio of jacksons in it at the moment.
Size is LxWxH:370x277x220cm, made of an aluminium frame and 4mm Hollow PC Sheet,with good ventilation, good light transmission and good energy reserved.
It's lightweight,durable and guarateed for 3 years. IT comes with a strong base.

If anyone is interested, you can pm me for inquiries.If there are 3 or more people interested the shipping costs will be really worth it.

Here are a few pictures of mine.

Attachments

• DSC04904p.jpg
    DSC04904p.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC04922p.jpg
    DSC04922p.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC04876p.JPG
    DSC04876p.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC04827p.jpg
    DSC04827p.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 244
That is gorgeous! I would spend all my free time in there if I had that! How do you get any work done with such a nice little oasis all to yourself? LOL;)

That is gorgeous! I would spend all my free time in there if I had that! How do you get any work done with such a nice little oasis all to yourself? LOL;)

It is true that i often spend three hours in there without realizing the afternoon is spent. It's specially nice in winter as during daytime i have 25°C in there, but 7°C outside!

Conserning greenhouses, i've seen they are quite pricey in america,
however i'm living in beijing and found a supplier here in China for very interesting prices.
I've ordered one and have been testing it for 6months now. I keep a trio of jacksons in it at the moment.
Size is LxWxH:370x277x220cm, made of an aluminium frame and 4mm Hollow PC Sheet,with good ventilation, good light transmission and good energy reserved.
It's lightweight,durable and guarateed for 3 years. IT comes with a strong base.

If anyone is interested, you can pm me for inquiries.If there are 3 or more people interested the shipping costs will be really worth it.

Here are a few pictures of mine.

Daen,

I like the greenhouse. I looked at those before we decided to have a custom greenhouse built. I think the twin-wall on your model might be UV filtering though. If we were going to use one like yours, it would require some of the panels to be switched out with a UV transferring acrylic.

Do you have access to a UV meter? The plants love that kind of environment, but you want to be sure the chameleons get the UV they need. If you aren't getting any UV through the twin-wall, you could always switch a couple of the roof panels with Solacryl or any type of UV transferring acrylic like the material they use on tanning beds. Solacryl has a 90% UV transfer. It's the best stuff I could find. Others can be as low as 70% and one long-time keeper said to me that the 70% UV transfer acrylic didn't cause any problems for her.

Bert Langerwerf from Agama International (we really miss him :() discovered the affects on breeding when reptiles are kept in greenhouses or if they aren't provided with unfiltered sunlight or enough UVA and UVB. Breeding success required the UV, as he explained.

Back
Top Bottom