Green Blotches on tail, Bruising? Broken?

Xelkaia

This is my second chameleon, first female.

I brought her home just 3 days ago, and have been letting her settle in, she's still really shy and obviously uncertain about her new enclosure as her colours haven't shifted from the dark shades much.
My first cham was like this for the first week, so I haven't really been too worried.

However, this morning I discovered a green blotch in the middle of her tail, where the rest of her has been dark brown, I hadn't noticed this in the reptile store but she also barely uses her tail to grip anything, and when climbing, there is sometimes a clear dent in her tail.
This has really started to concern me, and since she's been home I've only managed to get her to eat 1 undusted waxworm, She refuses to eat anything else.
(Even in the reptile store it was apparent that she wasn't eating much, as her remaining roomate was so much bigger than her, he clearly had been eating the majority of the locusts. Also, I was rather concerned at the size of locusts they were feeding them, as these locusts were almost double the size of her head, so theres literally no way she could have eaten one without choking.)

My initial concern was that she isn't intaking any supplements and thus falling greatly ill from lack of calcium.
Can you suggest any other way in which to get the supplements in her?
I've tried handfeeding her dusted locusts and she's gone for them twice, but each time has failed to get them in her mouth, and afterwards loses complete interest almost as if she's too embarrassed to try again.

As for the indent in her tail, She's never fallen (as far as I know at least) and I've never slammed or caught her tail on/in anything.
So my only guess is that she's obtained this injury whilst in the store. When I bought my first cham, she was there and was the most enthusiastic of the lot, and because they were so small the store had them kept in plastic container with a mesh lid, so it could be possible they caught her tail when placing the lid back on.

Maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions and being silly,
but I'd rather ask about, before taking the jump and rushing her to the vet, as I'd hate for her to fail due to the stress of constant moving from place to place.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

29cxmkk.jpg
2i1jkpl.jpg
21cz4v7.jpg
vmumma.jpg

I do see the discoloration of her tail. She is very dark, so I can only imagine she is stressed out from her move.
As pertains to your current problems, lets start with her eating.

It is possible she wasnt eating as much if the other cham she was with was taking it all, and if the locusts were too big.
Now, you did just move her to a new home, which can stress them out, and put them off their food for a few days, just keep offering her food, and she should eventually eat,
Do not offer to many worms right now, becauase if she becomes to accustomed to them, she may go on a food strike and stop eating her staple foods.
As for the tail, the discoloration could just be how her pigmentation is 'set up' meaning thats how she colors up in some spots. (chams do weird things).
And as for the kink, it is very possible the door or lid got shut on it. Please do not worry about this. My cham had the same problem. A week after I brought him home, he got a kink in his tail, see my thread about it here. https://www.chameleonforums.com/black-tipped-tail-help-54681/

Just keep an eye on it, it shoudl go away in a month or so. My guys did. (however, it was how he got his name Kink)

There is a chance that the 'kink' has cut off circulation to the rest of the tail, and it will dry up and fall off, but if that happens, just make sure you keep the new 'tip' of the tail clean and infection free and he will still be fine.
As for her not using her tail much, she could just be stressed from her move, or it hurts to move it (if indeed it was an injury that caused it). Or you are being a typical cham parent and worrying over every little thing! (no jabs at you, we all do it, even the old timers here still worry over everything)
Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your help!

Hahaha, I totally agree! There certainly is something about being a chameleon owner that makes you so panicky over the silliest of things! :p

I'm glad to say she's finally eating, only one little calcium dusted locust a day, but it's definitely a start.
Her mood has picked up too, looking much greener which is great!
As for her tail, the colour seems to blotch now again, and when she's relaxing for the night, it does go dark brown in colour, where the rest of her is green, but she is curling it now which I guess is definitely a good thing.
Your thread was really supportive, it's always such a relief to see you're not the only one going through something like this.

I'll be keeping a close watch over her until I'm confident she's ok, but thus far her eating habits and tail both look much better.
So I reckon it must just have been the stress of the move.

Thanks again for your support :)

Back
Top Bottom