Grasshoppers

Zevil

Avid Member
I bought 50 small grasshoppers, they are about 2cm long and the abdomen is about 3mm wide. First of all, there aren't much meat on them. Second, they can fly very well, can climb smooth surfaces and jump really high. And lastly they don't crawl much and when they move, they jump like 2 feet in the air. Oh and they only eat grass and leaves.

My chameleon and gecko aren't interested, because they don't even move enough to entice them. My hedgehog turns his nose up at them. My tarantulas did ate the grasshoppers but that is only when they jump onto the substrate but 90% of the time they are on the enclosure side or under the lid.

Conclusion: I actually hate grasshoppers more than crickets. And I have a few grasshoppers flying around my room and hiding somewhere.

Attachments

• 20190509_204215.jpg
    20190509_204215.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 185
Lol, mine come running from the complete opposite side of the viv to get one, damn near hurt themselves to get one.

When Roux was little he wasn’t very sure of them either, I’d have to stand by the door and make the hoppers jump and fly around the viv.

Flying prey really gets them going, they can’t resist! After doing this with them a few times they realized they liked them and I never had an issue after that.

Think of it like trying to get your kids to try a new food you’d know they’d like if they would just try it!

That's a crappy species of grasshopper, lol. You want species of the Schistocerca genus.
https://bugguide.net/node/view/336
Schistocerca gregaria is the feeder used in Europe. I breed Schistocerca nitens in California. Brodybreux25 catches Schistocerca obscura, etc.

View attachment 231959

Damn I can only get small ones here. But they are voracious plant eaters. I'm not very comfortable with them in my chameleon enclosure. I always cup feed my chameleon and grasshoppers can straight climb out of it.

Damn I can only get small ones here. But they are voracious plant eaters. I'm not very comfortable with them in my chameleon enclosure. I always cup feed my chameleon and grasshoppers can straight climb out of it.
Ah okay, that's a bummer. I'd hook you up if you were in California. I don't mind grasshoppers escaping, though. They're only leaf eaters and they don't move in the dark. If they get out into the house, they just go to the lights, so I have a 100% recovery rate, lol.

Ah okay, that's a bummer. I'd hook you up if you were in California. I don't mind grasshoppers escaping, though. They're only leaf eaters and they don't move in the dark. If they get out into the house, they just go to the lights, so I have a 100% recovery rate, lol.

I have red runners escaping from the feeder cup and they are munching on the plants in my enclosure and it's annoying to see holes in the leaves. I finally got rid of them by using small sticky roach cardboard, I put the board at the bottom at night when my chameleon went to sleep and took it out in the morning before he wakes up.

So I'm not fond of feeder insects destroying my plants though.

I have red runners escaping from the feeder cup and they are munching on the plants in my enclosure and it's annoying to see holes in the leaves. I finally got rid of them by using small sticky roach cardboard, I put the board at the bottom at night when my chameleon went to sleep and took it out in the morning before he wakes up.

So I'm not fond of feeder insects destroying my plants though.
I hate red runners, lol. They just hid in holes in the wood and came out at night. I would wake up to the sound of them chewing on corkboard because they will eat literally anything. Luckily, the lizard in there is a burrower at night, or else they would have chewed on him for sure. Never again.

i think size is part of your problem, small targets. They grow crazy fast, give them some time to grow and then toss just one or two in there at a time. Might take time but he’ll get eaten.

Side note- check out how big the one in the pic above is, lots of meat! But once they get that big you need to chop off the bottom half of their rear legs. They have huge spurs on those and while I’ve never had a problem with them getting hung up on anything I still remove them.

I’m not one to baby my chams but even I don’t like the idea of them swallowing a chunk of meat full of hooks.

i think size is part of your problem, small targets. They grow crazy fast, give them some time to grow and then toss just one or two in there at a time. Might take time but he’ll get eaten.

Side note- check out how big the one in the pic above is, lots of meat! But once they get that big you need to chop off the bottom half of their rear legs. They have huge spurs on those and while I’ve never had a problem with them getting hung up on anything I still remove them.

I’m not one to baby my chams but even I don’t like the idea of them swallowing a chunk of meat full of hooks.
His grasshoppers are fully grown, though. It's just a really tiny species. Zevil, what's your general location?

Oh, you don't even have Schistocerca then. SE Asia has Migratory Locusts though, which are better than anything we have here in the states.

Back
Top Bottom