Grasshopper ID?

GoodKarma19

Chameleon Enthusiast
I'm really not very good at identifying insects. I was walking to work, and startled a bird into dropping this little guy as I passed. Bird tore off his leg, but I saw a bunch of other hoppers in the area.

Safe to feed, do you figure? :unsure: we also have a bunch of larger, browner hoppers hanging out. No idea if they're the same species or something different... I wasnt about to run around like a lunatic trying to catch them without a net in broad daylight haha!

@Brodybreaux25 @jamest0o0

I'm really not very good at identifying insects. I was walking to work, and startled a bird into dropping this little guy as I passed. Bird tore off his leg, but I saw a bunch of other hoppers in the area.

Safe to feed, do you figure? :unsure: we also have a bunch of larger, browner hoppers hanging out. No idea if they're the same species or something different... I wasnt about to run around like a lunatic trying to catch them without a net in broad daylight haha!

View attachment 244670
Where are you?

View attachment 244670
They probably are safe to feed. But, adult hoppers have sharp spurs on their hind feet (tarsi). These spurs potentially could cut lizards' lips. Prevent this by removing the hind legs. Does anyone have reliable information about internal grasshopper parasites that can infect lizards? There are many species of grasshoppers. Most overwinter as eggs and nymphs emerge in the spring.

They probably are safe to feed. But, adult hoppers have sharp spurs on their hind feet (tarsi). These spurs potentially could cut lizards' lips. Prevent this by removing the hind legs. Does anyone have reliable information about internal grasshopper parasites that can infect lizards? There are many species of grasshoppers. Most overwinter as eggs and nymphs emerge in the spring.

None of the internal parasites around here should affect Malagasy species, I wouldn't think!

I'll remember to remove the hind legs! They do seem quite sharp. I'll probably just go ahead and snip off the tarsi.

In my mind - if the grasshopper is green or brown it is probably ok. The exceptions being a few hoppers/katydids that get massive and eat other insects.

Back
Top Bottom