Got gnats? Katchy’s on sale Black Friday

Between cinnamon in the top layer of pots (covered with river pebbles to keep chameleons out), a couple/few Sundews (Drosera capensis), and yellow glue traps (cheap!), we don't have any more fungus gnats.

We also watch watering.
Overwatering inevitably leads to a fungus gnat issue. Constantly damp soils promote fungal growth, which serves as an excellent food source for the larvae. Simply cut down on watering to solve most fungus gnat issues. Water infested houseplants deeply – but not frequently – and only when the soil is dry.
https://archive.triblive.com/news/overwatering-of-indoor-plants-leads-to-fungus-gnat-infestation/

Fyi that Amazon has the Katchy device on sale for $29.xx until midnight tonight. If you get the white one there’s another 10% off coupon. I think I paid $50 over the summer.

Seems like a common item recommended for those with gnats.
Do these Katchys work ? Just started to get in my umbrella plant (probably from over watering) lol . I just bought a new one but I'm worried they got on my Ficus . Are these Katchys legit ? Might buy one

Do these Katchys work ? Just started to get in my umbrella plant (probably from over watering) lol . I just bought a new one but I'm worried they got on my Ficus . Are these Katchys legit ? Might buy one
I have 4 bioactive cham enclosures plus 1 that isn’t and lots of extra plants all in the same room with 2 Katchy’s. While they do catch a fair number of soil gnats, they can’t catch them all. I just ordered some mantis ooths which when they hatch I’ll be putting in my enclosures. Last year when I did this it fully resolved the gnats. Unfortunately I redid all of my enclosures with new plants…and fresh gnats.

I have 4 bioactive cham enclosures plus 1 that isn’t and lots of extra plants all in the same room with 2 Katchy’s. While they do catch a fair number of soil gnats, they can’t catch them all. I just ordered some mantis ooths which when they hatch I’ll be putting in my enclosures. Last year when I did this it fully resolved the gnats. Unfortunately I redid all of my enclosures with new plants…and fresh gnats.
Interesting I might invest in one just to have it. I finished adding new umbrella tree to my cage earlier so hoping that took care of most of them . Mantis ooths huh?? That's sweet ! I don't know much about mantids but I'm assuming they won't cause any harm to the chams & guessing the chams can maybe even snack on them ?

second the mantids. My guys get so excited when they hatch! They do a good job of knocking out soil gnats and white flies, and even each other after a few days!

Its also the season to find ooths on rhe bare branches and tall grass. They (Ooths) can be refrigerated for several months.

second the mantids. My guys get so excited when they hatch! They do a good job of knocking out soil gnats and white flies, and even each other after a few days!

Its also the season to find ooths on rhe bare branches and tall grass. They (Ooths) can be refrigerated for several months.
Do the chams ever snack on them or are they too tiny ? Lol

Its all luck of the draw. Gnat eggs can over winter in bagged soil. I prefer the organic route just in case the cham ingests any.
I was skeptical at first also... But after battling gnats for years I wanted to try something. The indoor potting mix works and I have bought it several times from several different batches with zero gnats. I was nervous about the non organic thing but my plants are so thick the soil cannot be accessed... Works for me.

I was skeptical at first also... But after battling gnats for years I wanted to try something. The indoor potting mix works and I have bought it several times from several different batches with zero gnats. I was nervous about the non organic thing but my plants are so thick the soil cannot be accessed... Works for me.
Yeah I try to use rocks above my soil anyways . But the goal is to have everything so thick like you said 💪🏻

Back
Top Bottom