Piebald Veiled Chameleon Black Spot Issue

alang55366

Chameleon Info:
  • Chameleon - piebald veiled chameleons, male, he’s very small I bought him 2 days ago has been in a cage for 2 days now,
  • Handling - I don’t handle my chameleon at all since he needs to get used to the new setting
  • Feeding - I was feeding him mealworms but now I switched to crickets, Was 5 mealworms now 10 crickets, I feed him at 12pm, I am gut loading my feeders with carrots
  • Supplements - none, any recommendations
  • Watering - I use misting, and droplets, I mist 3 times a day because he seems really thirsty and I mist for one minute, YES I SEE HIM DRINKING THE WATER RIGHT OUT THE DRIPPER
  • Fecal Description - brown poop and nothing alarming it was normal pooping, as usual, he poops 2 times since I got him. No, he hasn’t been tested for parasites.
  • History - He is really active during the day and loves moving around and sits in his basking spot and usual and eats nothing new besides the concern of me with his black pattern also I bought him at Petco.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - its net, and the dimensions are 16" L X 16" W X 30
  • Lighting - Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture, 5.5" L X 10" W X 7" H, light schedule is from 7 am on through until 7 pm and complete darkness after 7 pm
  • Temperature - cage floor is from 71 degrees, basking spot is from 85-90 degrees, Lowest overnight temp is 68 degrees, I measure through the zoo ned brand
  • Humidity - 40-50 percent humidity, misting and a really warm room. Just the misting technique.
  • Plants - no
  • Placement - inside my bedroom, no, no, around between 1.5 and 2 feet from the ground.
  • Location - Boyle Heights, Los Angeles, California Zip Code 90063
Current Problem- I am concerned because when I purchased him he had these black spot and I thought that’s how the chameleon was since its a gentic but after reading more about this specific breed it only has white spots and not black and now I’m really a concern as to if I made a bad purchased and also if the chameleon is sick or not and I’m just worried he might die since I kept reading from another forum that her chameleon got a black spot and it died…and I don’t want that for my chameleon and I would want to treat it and get it healthy if possible… also, he has a black dot in one of his foot and I'm not going to pick at it at all just pointing it out there and I made the purchased really fast since I was really excited about being a cham owner :/
---------------

Please Note:
  1. He is very active and moves around a lot and eats very well and drinks very well as well and stuff.

THE FIRST PICTURE IS HIM WHEN I FIRST SAW HIM AND PURCHASED HIM AT PETCO 2 DAYS AGO AGAIN I WAS REALLY EXCITED TO GET ONE AND THOUGHT THAT THE BLACK WAs RECESSIVE GENE LIKE HIS WHITE SPOTS AND PINK LEGS:///

Attachments

• 60609445015__881D5510-B697-4E87-AEB5-D75828E1C1E1.JPG
    60609445015__881D5510-B697-4E87-AEB5-D75828E1C1E1.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_3412.JPG
    IMG_3412.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 308
Chameleon Info:
  • Chameleon - piebald veiled chameleons, male, he’s very small I bought him 2 days ago has been in a cage for 2 days now,
  • Handling - I don’t handle my chameleon at all since he needs to get used to the new setting
  • Feeding - I was feeding him mealworms but now I switched to crickets, Was 5 mealworms now 10 crickets, I feed him at 12pm, I am gut loading my feeders with carrots
  • Watering - I use misting, and droplets, I mist 3 times a day because he seems really thirsty and I mist for one minute, YES I SEE HIM DRINKING THE WATER RIGHT OUT THE DRIPPER
  • Fecal Description - brown poop and nothing alarming it was normal pooping, as usual, he poops 2 times since I got him. No, he hasn’t been tested for parasites.
  • History - He is really active during the day and loves moving around and sits in his basking spot and usual and eats nothing new besides the concern of me with his black pattern also I bought him at Petco.

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture, 5.5" L X 10" W X 7" H, light schedule is from 7 am on through until 7 pm and complete darkness after 7 pm
  • Temperature - cage floor is from 71 degrees, basking spot is from 85-90 degrees, Lowest overnight temp is 68 degrees, I measure through the zoo ned brand
  • Humidity - 40-50 percent humidity, misting and a really warm room. Just the misting technique.
  • Plants - no
  • Placement - inside my bedroom, no, no, around between 1.5 and 2 feet from the ground.
Current Problem- I am concerned because when I purchased him he had these black spot and I thought that’s how the chameleon was since its a gentic but after reading more about this specific breed it only has white spots and not black and now I’m really a concern as to if I made a bad purchased and also if the chameleon is sick or not and I’m just worried he might die since I kept reading from another forum that her chameleon got a black spot and it died…and I don’t want that for my chameleon and I would want to treat it and get it healthy if possible… also, he has a black dot in one of his foot and I'm not going to pick at it at all just pointing it out there and I made the purchased really fast since I was really excited about being a cham owner :/
---------------

Please Note:
  1. He is very active and moves around a lot and eats very well and drinks very well as well and stuff.

THE FIRST PICTURE IS HIM WHEN I FIRST SAW HIM AND PURCHASED HIM AT PETCO 2 DAYS AGO AGAIN I WAS REALLY EXCITED TO GET ONE AND THOUGHT THAT THE BLACK WAs RECESSIVE GENE LIKE HIS WHITE SPOTS AND PINK LEGS:///
Looks like a burn, I don’t have experience with burns, but I’m sure others members will chime in.

You have a translucent veiled. Very beautiful. Not burnede I did notice you said you are currently using deep dome lights, however it is suggested to use the tube lighting, a T5HO bulb. There are a couple other things I saw, but I feel like someone more experienced will guide you in the right direction.
Congrats on your little one. Welcome to the world of chameleons.

Hmm, kinda looks like a black splotch of color.

As he gets older his splotches may grow and change. I don't have any translucent veileds, but @GoodKarma19 has a young high translucent girl and I love seeing her growth progress pictures!

See my comments in red!

Chameleon Info:
I would cup feed if you are not already. It makes it much easier for the little one to find their food.
Good that you stopped feeding mealworms.

I would start gut loading with various greens (Collards, beet greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens) along with with some fruit and veggies. Personally I would add a commercially made gutload aswell, such as Bug Burger or Cricket Crack (can be found on amazon) I'll insert a gut loading sheet.

Dust with plain calcium (no d3) every day. Use a multivitamin once ( I use Reptivite, no d3) every other week, and then use calcium WITH d3 once every other week. Alternate the weeks.

The crickets shouldn't look like ghosts when dusted. They should just look lighter in color.

I would mist for 2-4 minutes in the morning, and then in the evening. You can have short midday misting if you see it necessary.
Since he is from Petco I would take a fresh fecal into the vet asap. If you have any other reptiles wash your hands throughly between this little guy and them.
Cage Info:
This is fine for now since he is still so small. Once he is older you will have to upgrade to a bigger screen/glass/hybrid cage.
I see you probably got the got the chameleon kit? These light dont do much for your chameleon.

Basking bulb-
I would just grab a normal household bulb, 60-70 watts. No colored bulbs.

Uvb-
The little coil you currently have isnt doing much for your chameleon. You are going to need a T5HO Reptisun 5.0 ( I would get the length fixture you will need for his adult enclosure, so you don't have to replace the fixture) or an Arcadia T5HO 6%.

Lower the basking spot to 83-85. If you have those stick-on circles to measure, throw em out. All you need is a digital thermometer (with a probe)
The humidity only needs to be 30-40 percent During the day, but 80-100 during the night (you can run a fogger at night to achieve this). Make sure the room isn't too warm for him.
  • Plants - no
No plants at all? Not even fake ones? (Fake isn't ideal but still better then no plants)
---------------

Please Note:

Post some more pictures of your chameleons and its setup.

Gutloading and Food sheets:
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 6.55.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 6.55.10 PM.png

Looks like a burn, I don’t have experience with burns, but I’m sure others members will chime in.

Not a burn.

Little cutie you have have, @alang55366! Spots and speckles on translucent (pink) patches are pretty normal in piebald veiled chameleons. My girl develops new spots every single shed! The most recent development are tiny black dots on her toes.

My girl Kismet:

20200319_155305.jpg

Close up of the speckles developing on her feet:

20200319_161723.jpg

Back
Top Bottom