Goodbye to a great pet

Shinybeetles

My female Yemen died today, I'm very sad. I've had her for about 3 years. It's amazing how attached I got to her (though obviously they don't have the capacity to become 'attached' to a human...or another chameleon) but she was very tolerant of me and seemed to not be in any way worried about my presence. She would often walk out of her enclosure onto my hand, or come over to greet me when I put my face near her (probably more to do with expecting food as I mostly hand fed her) but she was very sweet.

She developed a cough which I noticed about 4 days ago. I was treating her with anti-biotic but I think I caught it too late.

What is the average life expectancy of a female yemen and has anyone else had chameleons with respatory problems?

So sorry to hear of the loss of your cham. Females can live 3 to 6 years depending on the number and size clutches they have and of course their general health.

From what I've heard, upper respiratory infections (URIs) are fairly common in chameleons, being one of the major health problems (along with MBD). I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

I am sorry to hear of your loss,it sounded like a lovely little relationship you had with your girl,i'm sure she had a pleasant 3 years with you looking after her,all the best,Ronnie

That's so sad.:( I know exactly how it feels to lose a really friendly cham. Like Ronnie said, she had a great 3 years with you. I only got to share 1 year of my dear Lily's life. These critters have a way of 'sucking you in' far more than any other pet, which makes it even harder to lose one! Thinking of you.

Thanks guys, it's funny, I didn't think I would be sad, I keep lots of other reptiles but I think this one was particularly special. Chameleons seem to have an intelligence about them that other reptiles don't seem to have in quite the same way.

I think she had a pretty good life, she will be missed :(

I am so sorry for your loss. I have lost older females before and am currently battling an extreme respiratory infection with one of my young females now. Chams are very special creatures and there can be so much attachment on both ends of the relationship (as I can tell you had). You must have been a great owner to her to have a good bond.:)

Im really sorry for your loss. She did have a amazing life with you though and you should be happy but im sure she has gone to Madagascar heaven

Back
Top Bottom