Good age to climb high securely?

Xepera

Hi!

We are building an enclosure for our first veiled. Our local pet store can try to order a certain age chameleon for us, but we have a hard time deciding which age would be safe for our little fella. Since we have never had a veiled before, we would like to start with a little older one. Not under 2.5 months anyway, but maybe a little older still. We are building a really big and high enclosure for him. I have heard that young chameleons are still clumsy and fall down a lot while climbing. Our enclosure will be 6.5 ft (195 cm) high, so I would really want him to be able to stay on the branches, falling could be fatal!

Could anyone suggest a good age for our veiled to enter the tall enclosure safely? That way we could ask our pet store owner to get a suitable chameleon for us. (We don't have any breeders nearby, so that's not an option)

Thanks for help!

hi Xepera,

chameleons can and will climb cages quite well at almost all ages, even young babys.
in fact, babys climb cages far more then adults IMHO.
while babys are clumsy at times, I don't think it will be unsafe to put them in a 6' tall cage.

the problem is that a cage that large will be hard for a young chameleon to find his/her food and you as an owner might have a hard time making sure everything is alright with your pet in such a large cage.

for a male veiled I would go with something around 7 months old.
female 10 months old as they are normaly a drop smaller.

btw, I'm sure if you ask around on this forum, or use the "wanted" section of the classefides, you'll find an young adult veiled for a good price real quick.

Harry

Back
Top Bottom