Gonna be moving soon

Jevin

Chameleon Enthusiast
Towards the end of the summer, I will be moving again. I'll be be moving out of the rental apartment with a balcony I live in with my older brother for $1460 a month for 825 square feet that includes the balcony to a two level townhouse with my girlfriend of almost five years for $1359 a month that has a back yard and basement not included in the square footage measurement. Right now, I only pay for electricity, in the the townhouse, I'll have to pay for electricity and gas.

However, I am effectively going from 825 square feet to 1296 square feet if you factor in the basement of the townhouse, although the basement can only be used for storage as it has no windows. The townhouse also has central heating and it's own water heater as well as hookups for a washer and dryer. The apartment has no washer and dryer, but does have a built in dishwasher. Everything in the townhouse is larger than in my apartment. Also have the benefit of only having next door neighbors versus having neighbors across the hall, to the side as well as as above and below. The townhouse is also not located next to a major cross country highway or near a hospital like the apartment is.

From what I can gather, gas and electricity should range from $90-$130 a month depending on the time of year. The townhouse is also in way better condition than the apartment I live in was when I moved in. Also parking is right outside the door versus four floors down and laundry is also not shared with other tenants as it is now. The townhouse also has central heating versus baseboard water heaters in the apartment. Advantage to a furnace is the summer fan function as well, allowing cold air from the basement to be brought up to the floors above in the warmer months. Parking is also cheaper than the apartment. And I have the ability to rent a washer and dryer until I get my own for $40 a month total and the townhouse uses an electric drier rather than a gas drier.

Also, thinking further down the road to when my girlfriend and I purchase a house of our own, the basement that can only be used for storage allows us to acquire items together furnish said house. All in all, I can't see any draw back to the townhouse I'll be moving into and in every way, it seems to blow my current apartment out of the water.

Links to both places, if you check them out, both are the regular two bedroom versions.

Current apartment:https://www.bwalk.com/en-CA/Rent/Details/Alberta/Calgary/Patrician-Village/

Townhouse I'll be moving into: https://www.bwalk.com/en-CA/Rent/Details/Alberta/Calgary/Ridgeview-Gardens#

And best of all, since I'll be transferring my lease agreement, Lily, my bearded dragon and Chandler Bing, my panther chameleon, which are already approved and noted in my lease agreement at my apartment can come with me with no issues. And upon viewing the townhouse, both my girlfriend and I got a sense of home, which is something that I have felt has been missing from the apartment I live in, the townhouse feels like a place that you could live in for a few years with very few complaints, if any, while the apartment has always felt like a temporary housing situation.

Would like to know what you guys think of the two places.

Last edited:
Apartments are nice to start out in. But like you said it’s not “home” or cozy. I like the townhouse.
Also noticed both places are in Calgary. I have quite a bit of family down there!

See both my girlfriend and I like the townhouse more than my current apartment. Also probably going to have Chandler Bing, my panther chameleon, in the living room as his enclosure probably won't fit up the stairs, so he gets to be one of the first things you see when you walk in.

One thing I hated about townhouses/apartments is when they have cheap walls and you can hear the people next door. I ended up renting an actual house cause I'm too loud a person to have neighbors lol.

Stuff must be expensive there? I used to rent a townhouse with garage, yard, 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, upstairs/downstairs, dining/living rooms, etc for 900 per month.

I just moved, myself. My fiance and I bought our house. I agree about that "sense of home" because I still feel it every day! Congrats on your move! If you have any questions regarding moving your lizards, feel free to ask!

Back
Top Bottom