Going to Madagascar! Tips?

mc9423

Hey guys. So, in about 2.5 weeks I'll be headed to Madagascar - for almost four months! I'm doing study abroad, so all of my time can't be devoted to chameleons/other wildlife, but it's a biodiversity program so much of it will be anyway.

Our home base will be in Fort Dauphin (Tolagnaro), but we will travel much of the country during the program. Does anyone have tips on seeing some incredible creatures? I know lots of people on the forum have been before, so I'll take any advice.

(And if anyone else is into birding as well as herps - tips on birdwatching?)

Not really that knowledgable myself, but from my trips to the Bahamas and France: take your time and soak it all in. Don't rush. Enjoy yourself, more than trying to accomplish stuff. Take pictures, as many as possible. Video is even better. No schedules AT ALL. It will ruin everything! Document all animals with pictures and GPS coordinates for us. Talk to Chris Anderson, I think he was there once. I may be completely WRONG. Have a great time. (Wear a stupid hat that screams tourist also! :eek:)

I've actually already talked to Chris - he's given me some great advice! :)

Just looked through your thread, Jann - so awesome!

I've actually already talked to Chris - he's given me some great advice! :)
Glad I haven't lost all of my mind. I was just sitting here convincing myself it was actually kent or trace that went. Probably both of them got to go too, though. Man have a good time. If you see any high white pigmented males or females, feel free to send me the pictures. Either pm or email [email protected] I know you will have a million requests, so I don't expect anything. But in all seriousness, set your GPS up on whatever camera your using at the time. Could turn out to be ubber important and you not even know it at the time. Have a great time and a drink with a tiny umbrella in it on me! :p

I've been there. My best advice would be to invest in a great flashlight. You will have the best results finding chameleons at night.

Have fun!

Carl

Carl kinda nailed it there. All of the documentaries and great pix I've seen were at night with a guy or girl, with a flashlight strapped to their forehead. Make sure to get a powerful LED one. I am so hatin' on you right now. But that's a good thing. Enjoy!:)

The headlamp is ready to go! I learned how annoying normal flashlights can be in Peru, so I bought a decent headlamp for this adventure haha

have Fun in Madagascar, if you have Time go to Andoahela, but please ask before about security. South Madagascar is sometimes a bit dangerouse about Bandits.
I was joking and serious at the same time in my earlier posts. Have fun, of course. But PLEASE, keep your safety in mind always. Don't dwell on it, but not absent minded. Impossible now right?:eek: Travel with friends. [ Don't want to end up like anyone from the movie the Human Centipede or Hostel.]

Back
Top Bottom