New Owner! Husbandry Eval/ Question about Fogger

Khrysjam

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Female Veiled Chameleon. Unsure of Age. I’m assuming 6 ish months based on size? I’ve had her in my home for 4 days (Cham background listed below)

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Daily. Eye issues requiring medicated eye drop once daily. She also does not eat on her own so she gets hand fed. C-rays showed the beginning stages of MBD with bowing of bones so I have been taking her outside to sun for around 30 mins a day.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
So far I have offered discoid roaches, crickets, hornworms, and superworms. I have an order of hoppers and BSFL on the way. She was previously only fed crickets according to previous owner so I am trying to offer a variety.

She was in the care of a vet for 3.5 weeks before I brought her home. She was being force fed crickets everyday and occasionally syringe fed carnivore care because she was thin and not eating on her own.

I am unsure of age and how much she should be eating. Since I just brought her home this week she has not eaten much. I have been getting her to eat by dripping water droplets on her nose to prompt the drinking reflex and popping a feeder in while her mouth is open. Today she ate 5 discoid roaches and a super worm.

Feeders are gutloaded with Spirulina, carrots and sweet potatoes. I am also ordering bee pollen.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
I am dusting with Fluker’s Calcium w/o D3 daily and using Reptivite w/o D3 biweekly.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I must by hand twice daily 30 mins before lights come on and 30-60 mins after lights go off. There is also a dripper running 24/7 at a slow speed. Observed drinking frequently off leaves, branches, as well as out of my hand.

I just ordered a fogger but keep seeing conflicting information on how long it needs to be run for and what temperature I should not use one. The AC in my apartment is not the best and there are no ceiling fans. Ambient temperature in the room is around 78. Even with my AC set to 70, it does not cool well. In a different group, I saw someone mention not to use a fogger if your temps aren’t in the 60s. Definitely want to get more insight on this if possible!

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Found excrement today in one of the plants. Dark brown in color with white urates. Seemed dry but I also don’t know how long it was there because of how it fell in the top of the plant. Fecal tested two weeks ago. Negative for parasites.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

I work at a wildlife hospital. Cham was surrendered by the previous owner when she stopped eating. That person had gotten her from a neighbor who no longer wanted her when they moved. Unsure how long the first owner had her, but 2nd owner claimed to have had her for 2 weeks. Only offered crickets as diet. Unsure of previous enclosure set up, lighting, etc. she arrived cold, with fake plants and bark substrate in a cardboard box. Stuck shed present on eye and all over body.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

Reptibreeze XL. 2x2x4

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Zoomed hood with Reptisun T5 HO 24 W diagonally across top of enclosure. Phillips 65 W Indoor Floodlight as basking light in back corner.

I just ordered an Odyssea T5 Dual 6500K light for my plants and plan to swap one of the bulbs with my UVB.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Cage Floor: 77 degrees F
Basking Spot: 82.9 degrees F
Read with a temperature gun.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Daytime humidity is between 40-50%
Nighttime is up to 100% after misting and slowly lessens throughout night. At this point with no fogger, humidity is usually back to around 50% by morning. Measured using digital reader.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Yes, Pothos, schefflera, and mass cane.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

My cage is located in the corner of the room. No fans or vents anywhere. In spare room. Top of cage is 2.5 feet from ceiling and bottom is 1.5 off the ground.

Location - Where are you geographically located?
Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I wanted to make sure my husbandry was set up correctly since my girl came with a lot of underlying conditions from previous owners and make improvements wherever possible. I also wanted advice on the feeding technique I have been using or if there is a better option until she is able to eat on her own without assistance. Thanks in advance for any and all help!
image.jpg

Attachments

• 413D14D2-FA73-441C-A6C6-97002377965C.jpeg
    413D14D2-FA73-441C-A6C6-97002377965C.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 88
Hi and welcome! :) That’s awesome that you’ve taken her in and are providing great care to her. Although I may have missed something, there is nothing jumping out at me from your husbandry. The only thing I’d suggest differently is to run the dripper for only about 15-20 minutes at a time and around mid day. Also, it is correct that you’ll only want to boost night time humidity if you can get your temps below at least 68-70. Otherwise, heat + high humidity increases risk for respiratory infection. I’m also in Fl and unable to achieve a decent night time temp drop, so I don’t use a fogger. Instead, I have my mister do a couple of 15 second sprays during the night for just a subtle boost of humidity.
I’m going to guess you’re aware that your pretty girl will eventually be laying eggs. They can start as young as 5-6 months. From the pic, I really can’t guess how old your girl is. Egg laying is very hard on them and shortens their lives, so we limit basking temps to around 80 and limit feeding (3-4 feeders, 3 days a week) to help reduce egg production. However, it sounds like your girl has some recuperating to do before worrying about all of that. Usually we have some warning of when they have reached sexual maturity with them getting their pretty colors and becoming restless in their receptive period. That is when it’s best to get a lay bin prepared and keep it as a permanent part of her enclosure. If you have any questions or need for more info, just ask.
For feeding, is she able to use her tongue? Once you don’t need to pop her feeders in her mouth, start putting them in your hand in front of her. Then you could gradually increase the distance and start using a cup, which you could then attach in her enclosure. I love silkworms for hand feeding and they are nutritious and hydrating.
Very happy to have you here. :)

Hi and welcome! :) That’s awesome that you’ve taken her in and are providing great care to her. Although I may have missed something, there is nothing jumping out at me from your husbandry. The only thing I’d suggest differently is to run the dripper for only about 15-20 minutes at a time and around mid day. Also, it is correct that you’ll only want to boost night time humidity if you can get your temps below at least 68-70. Otherwise, heat + high humidity increases risk for respiratory infection. I’m also in Fl and unable to achieve a decent night time temp drop, so I don’t use a fogger. Instead, I have my mister do a couple of 15 second sprays during the night for just a subtle boost of humidity.
I’m going to guess you’re aware that your pretty girl will eventually be laying eggs. They can start as young as 5-6 months. From the pic, I really can’t guess how old your girl is. Egg laying is very hard on them and shortens their lives, so we limit basking temps to around 80 and limit feeding (3-4 feeders, 3 days a week) to help reduce egg production. However, it sounds like your girl has some recuperating to do before worrying about all of that. Usually we have some warning of when they have reached sexual maturity with them getting their pretty colors and becoming restless in their receptive period. That is when it’s best to get a lay bin prepared and keep it as a permanent part of her enclosure. If you have any questions or need for more info, just ask.
For feeding, is she able to use her tongue? Once you don’t need to pop her feeders in her mouth, start putting them in your hand in front of her. Then you could gradually increase the distance and start using a cup, which you could then attach in her enclosure. I love silkworms for hand feeding and they are nutritious and hydrating.
Very happy to have you here. :)
Yes! Okay, glad I didn’t bother with the fogger today 😂 I’ll be returning that first thing tomorrow. I’ve moved the basking branch down 3 times already and cannot get it lower. I’m going to make a stand for the dome to prop it up off the screen and get the temp to drop more that way.

It’s hard to see in that photo I sent because it’s hidden behind the plant but there’s a lay bin in the bottom. Half sand half reptisoil. I wasn’t sure when she would start laying but we set up for whenever she’s ready.

I’ve seen her shoot her tongue maybe 3 times since she got to my work. It was all only for water droplets, never for food. I usually hold the feeder with forceps and do the water droplet thing to get her to start opening her mouth. I didn’t want to mess up her jaws prying them open. She watches them move around but that’s about all she does.

Thank you for all the help and the warm welcome! I’m excited to be here and learn more about these awesome little reptiles!

Yes! Okay, glad I didn’t bother with the fogger today 😂 I’ll be returning that first thing tomorrow. I’ve moved the basking branch down 3 times already and cannot get it lower. I’m going to make a stand for the dome to prop it up off the screen and get the temp to drop more that way.

It’s hard to see in that photo I sent because it’s hidden behind the plant but there’s a lay bin in the bottom. Half sand half reptisoil. I wasn’t sure when she would start laying but we set up for whenever she’s ready.

I’ve seen her shoot her tongue maybe 3 times since she got to my work. It was all only for water droplets, never for food. I usually hold the feeder with forceps and do the water droplet thing to get her to start opening her mouth. I didn’t want to mess up her jaws prying them open. She watches them move around but that’s about all she does.

Thank you for all the help and the warm welcome! I’m excited to be here and learn more about these awesome little reptiles!
That’s so good that she’s able to shoot her tongue. Keep encouraging her and hopefully soon she’ll be feeling well enough to eat on her own. Not sure if it would help at all, but maybe let some bsfl pupate into flying treats for her to hunt down at her leisure…may inspire her hunting instinct. As they don’t have need for eating, no risk of them biting her if left in her enclosure.
To elevate lights, I use the small wire baskets available at dollar stores. The flat ones that are used for drawer organizing work perfectly.
The forum holds a wealth of information and so many great keepers here to share with. 🥰 If you want straight knowledge, do check out https://chameleonacademy.com/ and make sure to listen to the podcasts.

That’s so good that she’s able to shoot her tongue. Keep encouraging her and hopefully soon she’ll be feeling well enough to eat on her own. Not sure if it would help at all, but maybe let some bsfl pupate into flying treats for her to hunt down at her leisure…may inspire her hunting instinct. As they don’t have need for eating, no risk of them biting her if left in her enclosure.
To elevate lights, I use the small wire baskets available at dollar stores. The flat ones that are used for drawer organizing work perfectly.
The forum holds a wealth of information and so many great keepers here to share with. 🥰 If you want straight knowledge, do check out https://chameleonacademy.com/ and make sure to listen to the podcasts.
I scoured the Chameleon Academy website to get everything set up before I brought her home! So much info there and on his socials. I’ve also been listening to his podcast nonstop 😂 let’s just say I definitely took a deep dive lol everyone kept discouraging me because of how difficult they are to care for but I am determined! Thank you again for all of your insight with everything!

let’s just say I definitely took a deep dive lol everyone kept discouraging me because of how difficult they are to care for but I am determined! Thank you again for all of your insight with everything!
:ROFLMAO:had that for so many years, until COVID and the lockdowns, that´s when I bit myself into chameleon keeping......and with these modern times, it´s not that ´difficult` any more once you got the right information and equipment. And then suddenly you´re addicted and one cham is no cham :ROFLMAO:

You have done a great job with gathering the information, putting up a decent enclosure and giving this beautiful girl a second chance, which she deserves. Have a great time together (y)

I woke up randomly tonight and decided to go check the temperature to see what was going on in there. Since you’re in Florida too, what is your ambient temperature at night? The digital temp reader was reading 73. Temp gun at the basking branch was reading 70.5. Those temps are still too high for misting right? I turned on the fan we have in there pointing right at her enclosure. I’ll go check it again in a few hours to see if it’s dropped more. I’m so paranoid about her getting an RI.

:ROFLMAO:had that for so many years, until COVID and the lockdowns, that´s when I bit myself into chameleon keeping......and with these modern times, it´s not that ´difficult` any more once you got the right information and equipment. And then suddenly you´re addicted and one cham is no cham :ROFLMAO:

You have done a great job with gathering the information, putting up a decent enclosure and giving this beautiful girl a second chance, which she deserves. Have a great time together (y)
Haha oh my gosh. That’s too funny. We had reptiles growing up and although I don’t think another Cham would invest in right now (we’ll see if I say that once Luna is completely healthy 😂) I’ve already started convince my bf about a bearded dragon lol

Thank you for the words of encouragement! I can’t wait to dig through and learn more.

I woke up randomly tonight and decided to go check the temperature to see what was going on in there. Since you’re in Florida too, what is your ambient temperature at night? The digital temp reader was reading 73. Temp gun at the basking branch was reading 70.5. Those temps are still too high for misting right? I turned on the fan we have in there pointing right at her enclosure. I’ll go check it again in a few hours to see if it’s dropped more. I’m so paranoid about her getting an RI.
My ambient temp currently is also 73 and humidity is 48%. It’s too warm for fogging, but I have my Mist King set to run 15 second mistings at 2 AM and 5 AM just for a small humidity boost at night. I would freeze and electric bill would be obscene if I turned the AC any lower. I do run a small room AC in my chameleon room to combat the heat of all the daytime lights and a dehumidifier to keep daytime humidity in check and that is expensive enough.
I’ve already started convince my bf about a bearded dragon lol
Much more fun and interactive than chameleons. Plus, we have a thread to share our crazy spikey bearded pals. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/beardies.174985/

Back
Top Bottom