Going light crazy!! Please someone advise me on UVB lighting

sarahog

Okay so after asking around I founf majority to recommend 5.0 uvb. I got a reptisun 5.0. My cage is 2x2x4 and I ordered the 24" bulb and now I'm worried that's too big?? Should I place that on one side, diagonal across the cage, or straight down the middle?? I've had a world of trouble finding light fixtures that can have the reptisun plus a 24" 6500k bulb (one needs t8 one t12) and I've been running all over the place. Finally I bought 2 24" fixtures for the UVB that I have to convert to plug ins and I bought 2 fixtures for 18" 6500k bulbs. I'm so worried about having the lighting right! SO to get to the point my main concerns are...

1. Is a 24" Reptisun 5.0 too big for a 2'x2'x4' cage?
2. What is the best placement on top of the cage?
3. How far from the top branch should it be?

foil behind bulb??

And yet another question someone mentioned putting foil behind the uvb bulb to reflect the rays downward...do I need to secure the foil to the fixture so that it doesn't touch the backside of the bulb itself or does it matter?

I could be doing it wrong myself, but my bulb is the same size as the width of my cage, and I put it on the top of the cage, right above my basking spot in the back of the cage, facing forwards. I don't use any foil or anything on mine, because the bulb surround is reflective. The fixture I have is the reptisun brand hood that corresponds with my reptisun 5.0

that size is just fine...i usually just put mine wherever it fits (usually toward the back of the cage with the heat basking spot in front)...i have heard that if you put the UV hood on the front of the cage to turn it around

I run double fixtures on my adult panthers&veild 1 reptisun5.0 and 1 daylight.
you can get daylights from most grow shops& homedepot and a 60 watt basking bulb. rember to check those skin temps while there basking,and get your cham real sun anytime its possable.

1. Is a 24" Reptisun 5.0 too big for a 2'x2'x4' cage?
2. What is the best placement on top of the cage?
3. How far from the top branch should it be?

i have the same size cage. the fixture must be 24" or 2 feet. i think the bulb is 17 inches for the proper fixture to that size cage. your lights should also be about 5-8 inches from your basking spot(s), or wherever the best temperatures are achieved. i noticed your using plant lighting. that's fine, its a very bright light source and lets off a lot of heat so keep that in mind.

No that is perfect for that, you want it to fit across the entire length of the cage. My cage is 30 inch wide and my UVB light is 30in. You do not need any foil. Just put a branch or vine going across under the bulb about 8-10 inches down or so. You don't have to worry how far down it penetrates down into the cage. Your chameleon will come to the top to get the light. If he could not reach the top and was stuck near the bottom all the time that would be a different story then. I have mine towards the back of the cage with a 30 inch horizontal branch underneath it. He walks back and forth on the branch and gets the UVB that way.

i think the bulb is 17 inches for the proper fixture to that size cage.

The fixture itself is just over 24"and the bulb itself is exactly 24" (the cage is a tad over 2' across so the light and bulb literally go from one end all the way to the other. I'm just worried he won't be able to escape it? I don't have a screen top, it's wire 1/2" wire mesh so a most of the UVB will go into the cage.

regardless its perfect. UVB bulbs don't give off enough heat to burn your cham. full exposure to UVB is not a problem. just make sure that you basking temps are under control and you should have no worries.

No that is perfect for that, you want it to fit across the entire length of the cage.

most times the fixture is the length of the cage and the UVB bulb tends to be some inches smaller, so maybe not 17" but im sure you get the idea haha

at least its that way for my 24" UVB fixture and it fits perfect to the fixture i have. i made the mistake of getting a 24" inch bulb when in fact the bulb for my 24"fixture was a few inches shorter.

but it sounds like problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom