Going away for the long weekend

Zephalia

Established Member
Hey guys, so I'm heading out of town for the long weekend. I will be leaving Friday night and returning Monday night.I'm going to leave a days worth of crickets in the cage and give it a good misting Friday before I leave.

my lights are on a timer so I'm ok there.The a/c will be off while I'm away and its been humid here so I would imagine the humidity won't drop below 40-50%.I do not have a misting system set up and although I have a dripper, it doesn't sit well on the cage and won't drop onto the leaves so Pete can drink...so what's the point?

Initially I asked my sister to come over on the Sunday and mist him and drop more food in the cage so he is ok until I return the next day...my question is, do you guys think he will be ok going all day Saturday with no water and a large portion of the day Monday as well?

It "should" be ok. As long as someone comes in and Sunday to mist and feed him.
I went away for a week and fortunately mother in law popped in to mist mine in the morning and afternoon, she did poo patrol and feed him, she got him out and handled him OK. Problem was when i got back he was in a right mood with me, didn't want to greet me for about 5 days.

I would say you need to get an automatic mister or get someone to mist him at least three times a day. Hydration I so important to these delicate creatures. They can manage for several days without food but not water. How would you cope with no water for 24 hours?

I would say you need to get an automatic mister or get someone to mist him at least three times a day. Hydration I so important to these delicate creatures. They can manage for several days without food but not water. How would you cope with no water for 24 hours?

I would be fine, just a little thirsty. But I'm not a chameleon. As it is right now I mist once in the morning and once at night which seems to be suiting us just fine at this point. The plan down the road is to get a mister but its not an option right now and certainly not before the weekend. I realize its not ideal for him to go with no water on Saturday...but I was wondering if he would be ok. This is special circumstances,I don't go away often.

If it is anticipated to be a large problem I will have to look at leaving him with my sister for the entire weekend. Hauling his enclosure and lighting over there...but I would rather avoid that hassle if possible.

When he was shipped to me he was without water for 24 hours. Anyone go away for the weekend and have a similar situation? Or am I being silly and will come home to him ill?

They are, as you know sensitive animals. Me personally i would make sure there is someone who can come round to feed and mist him at least once a day, twice a day preferably.
Also i wouldn't be keen on the idea of leaving a few days worth of food in the enclosure but that's just me.
Is there not a neighbour who would pop round ? Or would your sister not come round more ?
Its better to be safe than sorry, and im sure if you bung you sister a few dollars she would do that for you.

I was only going to leave enough food for him for Saturday, not the whole weekend, as she was going to come by Sunday and feed him. From the sounds of it though, you guys don't think that will work so ill have to figure something out. Thanks for the input.

I highly recommend you get a friend or neighbor to come over and check on Pete the three days that you are going. Anything could happen in 3 days. How old is Pete? He might could make it without food but he will definitely need water. I would not leave him alone and without water all day Saturday, all day Sunday and all day Monday. You need to get someone to come over and check on him and at least mist and drip him. BTW a dripper is very important to keep a Cham hydrated. Get one that works.

I highly recommend you get a friend or neighbor to come over and check on Pete the three days that you are going. Anything could happen in 3 days. How old is Pete? He might could make it without food but he will definitely need water. I would not leave him alone and without water all day Saturday, all day Sunday and all day Monday. You need to get someone to come over and check on him and at least mist and drip him. BTW a dripper is very important to keep a Cham hydrated. Get one that works.

I believe he is three and a half months.

Your cham will have no problem with no food for SEVERAL days. When I travel, I put enough crickets and worms in the feeding cup for several days, and have my wife only add food when all has been eaten (which means nothing in the cup, and no escaped crickets up by the basking light).

Your cham will not dehydrate missing one day of water availability, he probably misses one day of water presently by not drinking even though it is available. In the wild, Mother Nature does not have a regulated timing system to be sure chams get watered every day...:)

If he were severely dehydrated or not eating, then I would be concerned, but that is not your situation.

Enjoy the vacation, don't worry, be happy...:D

Nick

If he is a baby they can become dehydrated quick.

Nick he will be gone 3 days....not one.

He said his sister can come Sunday. So he would be without water Saturday and Monday. I can't say whether a cham drinks everyday or not, would be even better if you had some horn worms or silk worms to feed for the water content while you are gone. He might be OK, but you would have to ensure he is well hydrated before and after and also be sure your sister really gives an extra long misting on Sunday.

I did pack up my whole set up to leave at my moms when I was gone for a week and it really wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be. If possible that is obviously the best choice, just take his whole cage over to your sisters if you can.

I am a new to this but, I have got to say it might be better if you pack him up and take him to your sister's. I took mine and her set up to a friends house when I went away so it would be easier for them to care for her. But the senior members would know better than me.

Your cham will have no problem with no food for SEVERAL days. When I travel, I put enough crickets and worms in the feeding cup for several days, and have my wife only add food when all has been eaten (which means nothing in the cup, and no escaped crickets up by the basking light).

Your cham will not dehydrate missing one day of water availability, he probably misses one day of water presently by not drinking even though it is available. In the wild, Mother Nature does not have a regulated timing system to be sure chams get watered every day...:)

If he were severely dehydrated or not eating, then I would be concerned, but that is not your situation.

Enjoy the vacation, don't worry, be happy...:D

Nick

You and I see eye to eye on this. I think he would be alright going one day without water. We would have food. The one response about leaving him with no food for three days was incorrect, he would have food for Saturday and then my sister was going to feed him on Sunday and I return Monday. There are varied suggestions here as always. Because he is so small, that is where my main concern lies. Thank you all for your two cents.I have made arrangements for my Dad to take him for the weekend. My family all lives in the city and I live in a small town so its not fair to ask them to make that drive to care for him.

If he is a baby they can become dehydrated quick.

Nick he will be gone 3 days....not one.

Yes, he is a baby. I will be gone three days but he would only go without water for one as I had arrangements for family to visit in between. Some confusion there I think.

I to am leaving for a fishing trip three days in the keys. Mine are older than three months and having a mistking with auto lights I dont see a problem. I do as said feel water is number one. I mist three times aday what a pleasure with a mistking. I will load them up with food they should be fine.

Yes, he is a baby. I will be gone three days but he would only go without water for one as I had arrangements for family to visit in between. Some confusion there I think.

For some reason I thought your sister had planned to come over but now was not going to be able to. I would not leave my for even one day but he might be ok.

For some reason I thought your sister had planned to come over but now was not going to be able to. I would not leave my for even one day but he might be ok.

Ah ic,I knew there was some confusion there. Thanks for the advice, I'm not taking any chances with him, just curious what I can get away with. But like I mentioned, he's in grandpa's hands now. Typed him out a page long caresheet and will give him a crash course in the morning when I drop him off.

Thanks again everyone. When I get my mister this won't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom