Going away for the long weekend

My mom would watch my Chameleons if I asked her but she lives in California and I live in Texas... lol so I have to ask a friend and prepare everything ahead of time. It always nice to have friends willing to learn and help...):)

Pete has been safely deposited at Grandpa's although I don't think he liked being transported at 6:30am before breakfast.

Aaaaand I just got a call from my Dad...as I was typing that...he thought the basking spot was getting too warm so he decided to move the lamp to angle out of the cage like I told him....but he set it on the side of the frame and melted the cage top. So now it won't close and there is a seperation in the screen. Lol great! guess I know where I'm stopping after work before I leave.

I would say you need to get an automatic mister or get someone to mist him at least three times a day. Hydration I so important to these delicate creatures. They can manage for several days without food but not water. How would you cope with no water for 24 hours?

Exactly!! I would not go a day without some source of water.

Just an update in case anyone was curious...

I arrived at my parents after work Friday to check out the damage to the cage and put in a lower wattage bulb as the basking spot was running too high.probably a difference in environment between our homes but I've been meaning to reduce the wattage anyway.to my surprise, they had moved him to another room and stuck him on the floor...at a quick glance I immediately noticed that the timer had been messed up and was now going to go on and off at irregular intervals, the UV lamp was positioned at the front of the cage where there is no branching or foliage for him to sit under it and the basking light was centered. I had a bit of a hissy fit with my mother at that point in time.I told her I was not at all comfortable with leaving him there after all that...she reassured me they would not move or touch him again other than to feed and water.so I set him up properly...

Suffice to say I worried all weekend but stayed in contact through Facebook and it seems everything is good. I'm taking him home tonight and it can't happen soon enough. Not too sure ill be going away any long weekends any time soon again!

Well im glad everything looks like its going ok, to me it sounds like the whole situation with speed bumps along the way was more work than not. I know he needs his water but after that whole story of him on the floor,lights being moved, timers messed up, cage shifted, driven across town, and equipment burnt up over his little head. I really think in this case he would have been better off over the weekend at home without anyone in to check on him for that one day. I would recommend a dripper even if your home all the time. Mine works out great for him and i can get it to drip for about 8 hrs or so. Well again im glad it worked out ok for you!

Back
Top Bottom