Goes to sleep early?

Tiberius

I have noticed that my Jackson's goes has gone to sleep around 7:30-8:00 a couple of times. I have the lights on a timer from 7:00am to 9:00pm, should I change this?

Thanks in advance :D

Definitely change it, they need a 12 hour on cycle and a twelve hour off cycle, I would do 7 to 7

My jack tends to start getting into his bed time possition at about 6pm. so I have the timer set from 7am to 6:30pm.

Like birds, they like to turn in early.

Also, make sure your cham gets a good quiet and dark night's sleep.

No lights on at night. I cover my guy with a dark bedsheet to give him privacy

Thanks, I'll adjust the timer.

Would covering his cage with something such as a sheet reduce airflow to unhealthy levels?

Thanks, I'll adjust the timer.

Would covering his cage with something such as a sheet reduce airflow to unhealthy levels?

No, dont need put it all the way around, just the front and partial sides.

Airflow would not be a problem even if you covered all of it.
As long as it is plain cloth material.

People with birds cover the whole cage.

Definitely change it, they need a 12 hour on cycle and a twelve hour off cycle, I would do 7 to 7

I disagree! Unless you live right on the equator where it is a 12/12 day most of us have very different seasons and light cycles and your chameleon is very in tune with this. It doesn’t matter what time you set your timer, a chameleon will ‘get up’ when the sun rises and will naturally look for a safe sleeping place when the sun starts to set. This is hard wired in them so why do something that is unnatural. Right now in North America we have longer days but in winter that will change (and drastically in some areas) I adjust the timers on my lights several times over the course of a year to reflect these light cycle changes.

As for the OP Tiberbius, it sounds like your Jacksons is doing what is normal for him. If he is sleeping during other times of the day then an appointment with a reptile vet is warranted.

well yes for the summer the day times are extended, so you should do so for your chameleon, but turning the lights on at 9 isnt very beneficial for them, since he probably does not wake up at that time

I agree with Trace. I always keep my light cycle with my area's natural light cycle. Even if I dont, they go to sleep when the sun sets anyways. They know when the real sun is going down, especially if they can see out a window.

Thanks guys. I will try keeping the lights on for all of daylight for a couple weeks and see if he adjusts.

By the way, I love these forums! It's so nice to get advice from a lot of different people with lots of experience. I'm sure my cham is happier for it :)

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud here but is there any actual evidence that chameleons are able to naturally sync their sleep cycles with the cycles of the day- regardless of their exposure to natural sunlight? If they are living outside, that seems plausible. We are talking, in some cases here, about chameleons which spend all of their time inside. It seems to me they would be more likely to sync up with the cycles of the provided light.

Unless of course the there is another variable involved such as temperature fluctuations...

im somewhat with allfalls on this one mine is in the basement with little way for him to tell what is going on outside exept for when i take him out. i would imagine they would become fully accustom to the lighitng cycle ive provided as opposed to whats going on outside in the world. My cham will usually make his way into the depth of his scheffelera about an hour and a half before he know the lights are going to go out, he has adapted to when the lights ocme on and when they go out so well that he knows what to do at all times. So as for the lighting cycle i dont see an hour or 2 over the recomended 12 hours being that much of a problem and hey a little extra uvb cant hurt anyways

Before I set my lights to the natural sun, the chameleons would go to sleep with the sun anyways. Even if I left the light on until late everyday. There was a window though.

I dont know if there is any evidence but I do know that my guys get into sleeping possition as soon as the sun starts going down regardless of the light I give them.
So I try to adjust that way

I dont know if there is any evidence but I do know that my guys get into sleeping possition as soon as the sun starts going down regardless of the light I give them.
So I try to adjust that way

im just curious to know if your cham is able to see the sun at all like is he close to a window where he would have an idea of the sun cycle ?

To be fair on the window comments, my cham sits accross from the window in my living room. Now I live in the Shetland Islands and the daylight here is wacky! At this time of the year it soesn't get dark till very late and the sun comes up about 5am. My cham is on a light cycle of 9am to 9pm. Although it is still light at 9pm she allways settles down and goes to sleep when the lights go out. If undesturbed (I have a 12 year old daughter that gets up at 7am) She will stay sleeping until the lights go on at 9am, regardless of how bright it is outside! And my curtains let the light in!

Just wanted to put my 2 cents :)

Back
Top Bottom