Gnats this sucks.

KobaOregonherper

Chameleon Enthusiast
My bioactive enclosure has tested me yet again. You'd think after finally stabilizing from a relatively large quantity of spider mites deciding to plague my enclosure that my troubles would be over. Nope. Enter in wave 2. Fungus gnats. Noticed a large number of these in my leaf litter/substrate today. For those who dont know, the adults are harmless, and if I had frogs I'd welcome them. But their larva eat roots, and fungus gnats breed insanely fast. I'm frustrated and at a loss.

For obvious reasons I'm not completely drying out my enclosure because my chams in there and I dont have anywhere else I can put him. I'm not using dry ice or hydrogen peroxide because my CUC is establishing well and I'm not going to kill them when the plants cost less then they do. Eventually my CUC should out resource them and they'll dissapear, but that wont be for a bit. Which leads me to my thought and question.

Pitcher plants. These apparently work great for taking care of fungus gnats, but are they a problem with Panthers? Anyone have experience with pitcher plants in a bioactive setup with chams?

There's a nepenthes pitcher in my Parsons bio enclosure. It works pretty well on them, but the real gnat control is sundews. Trust me on this, sundews obliterate fungus gnats. Just keep a couple on a window or something in the same room and the gnats will be gone in no time. Butterworts and pitchers also work well if you want to try those too, but sundews are the best. I've found no other method come close to controlling them in the same way and as easy.

Back
Top Bottom